Wednesday, 4 April 2012

The Fire Place

When we first turned the key in the door at Shingle Cottage  We decided to start work on the sitting room......

We knocked everything out ourselves and were left with this.........
We lined the chimney for a coal and wood fire....Steve was up on the roof pushing the liner down while i was inside pulling it down into the fireplace......
Together we planked the ceiling and dry lined the walls....added coving and a new deep door casing and found lovely paneled doors underneath sheets of hardboard........
We bought a second hand Victorian reproduction black cast iron back panel and grate from Ebay,it had never been used and cost us £150...to buy it new it retails for £695 so it was quite a saving.....We also picked up a Victorian mantle from an architectural yard that Steve had had his eye on long before we bought Shingle Cottage..........
I scraped all the old cement out of the brick wall and re-pointed it top to bottom and we measured for our hearth......
Dry lined walls and concrete hearth being tiled below.......
The first fire and under coat going on the  brick wall.........
Framing added above the mantle piece..........
Planks were added on top to create a paneled wall to age the room  and add interest........
As it is today below painted in three shades,old white,aqua and grey with sanding and chipping to create an aged appearance........
There is still a lot to do in this room but our fireplace warms my  ♥ heart ♥ as well as my toes.....

XxX

Linking to Transformation Thursday My Romantic Home

7 comments:

  1. Wow Love the brick
    Looks amazing
    awesome job
    xxoo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is THE most beautiful fireplace in the world. I LOVE it!!!! So fabulous~wow. I am simply amazed by you and Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GASP! That's insane it's so wonderful. I LOVE it... ya'll are amazing.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really lovely - you must be so pleased with the result! Nothing like a plan that comes together! Have a lovely Easter! Sharonx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cottage, such a romantic and soothing choice of colors. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fireplace, what a great job, and it gives me the push to paint my brick. What paint did you use on the brick? I am nervous to paint our brick but now see yours and raring to go! Di@Cottage-wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di,
      Thank you!I primed and then used emulsion paints x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x