Thursday, 28 June 2012

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint And Desigining A Kitchen

It was only a matter of time until Annie Sloan Chalk Paint arrived at our home..i have been wanting to try it for so long and have watched my blogging buddy Amy of the beautiful blog http://maisondecor8.blogspot.co.uk/   paint anything that didn't move! Amy is also an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint  stockist and also has a beautiful online store,she has the link to her store on her sidebar....Amy's  blog is a really good read and she has many techniques and  lots of inspiring pictures,she is also one of the nicest girls i have met through blogging...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have seen a lot of furniture painted in the chalk paint on Pinterest but i was intrigued by reading you could paint metal,i have painted a lot of light fixtures and iron beds etc and have always had to prime,undercoat and top coat but not with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint you can paint it straight on....


I had this cherub lamp that i shared in an earlier post with it's 1960's/70's onyx and wondered if it could be brought up to date with a little paint and wax.....i will let you decide.....

Here is the lamp below before.....
I used the colour Versailles  which Annie describes as a soft delicate lightly yellowed dusky green that is sophisticated and gentle...i had my  Annie Sloan book on hand that i found in my bookcase that i had bought a few years ago....i went looking for inspiration and thought WOW! i have Annie's book?....don't ask haha......

I painted the lamp with one coat of Versailles  and then washed over Old White,lightly removed some of the paint with a damp cloth to expose some of the old gold  patina before i waxed using the clear wax......

 Here is the lamp after.......
I also painted two white bird houses that i had bought a while ago and have always wanted to do something different with them......We sat down together this week the husband and i and  decided on the colour range for our kitchen at Shingle Cottage which will be pinks,creamy yellows and greens very cottage and pretty......i want my kitchen to have a garden room feel as the door opens into our cottage garden with the white picket fence,so bird houses would be lovely but first they needed to be painted in  Versailles,Antoinette and Old White...... 

Here they are after i was too excited and forgot to take a before picture....the stripey fabric they are stood on is now sitting in the the pile of fabric to be used in the kitchen....it is a really good match with Versailles.....

Love the colours together really pretty and so soft.....
I loved how it just did anything i wanted to do,water it down,paint over it,smudge it,mix it,wet it......it is a really creative paint and i am hooked!....
Loving how Versailles and Antoinette look against my enamelware and old china......
Below is a swatch i found on Pinterest showing how you can mix Primer Red with Old White and the pink colours you can achieve..the pink gingham fabric is going to be on chairs i am recovering for the kitchen and the rose fabric will be at the window so i am going to order Primer Red as the pinks look great with my fabric......
Talking of the kitchen the last time you had a peek it looked like this after i knocked everything out....
Well it now looks like this below...well actually Steve plastered these two walls before we went home and i painted the wood with knot solution and white primer but you can see we have moved the door now and we have so much more room....Steve sweeping up gives you an idea how big our kitchen is....the planked wall were the old door is just breaks up the plaster board and gives the room a bit of character,we also ran the planks above the door a different way to the planked wall,we have done something like this in most rooms and of course our loved wood ceilings are in here too..they make it feel really beach cottage to us....
The plastered walls will be painted in Soft Apple below and the ceiling and planked wall in Beauty Queen.......
The back of the door and the cupboards are going to be in some shade of creamy yellow to tie in with the rose fabric below...........
Oh yes the cupboards that i found behind plasterboard at the other side of the kitchen......
There are two tall ones on the right hand side too and after i pulled off hard board......
I discovered pretty paneled doors underneath and we had them dipped and stripped on Monday ready for this weekends work which will be cladding inside of all the cupboards,re hanging the doors and see the wall were the blue tiles are? this will be planked top to bottom....i picked up some cut glass door knobs from TKmaxx about two years ago for these doors,it will be so nice to see them go on soon.....
The cupboards are to the left of the picture below just as you come in through the front door,you can just see the frame.....where Steve is working there will be a small table and two chairs for friends that stop by for tea or for our Sunday morning  breakfasts....there i go all dreamy again...i so can not wait to live here......we had a central front door but decided it had to go,it is so much more cozy in the middle of the cottage without it,remember the little white cast iron fireplace in the hallway? well that is were the old doorway was.....i know people say you should not walk straight into a kitchen but this is a beach cottage and it works......we are having french doors on the dining room at the back of the house so when we have guests for dinner they can walk up through the pretty cottage garden and straight to the dining table.....
I know it all looks a bit building site but i have everything planned and chosen and a very clear picture of how it will all look.......i watched my mother for years matching small pieces of designer fabrics left over from where she worked as a seamstress,she would make these into cushion fronts and match them with charity shop finds.... buttons and trims saved in her sewing cupboard would finish the look...
It will all come together in the end....
I am happy i have found a place for the lamp shade below too,i made it because i loved the fabric not thinking were it would end up,you can't see in the fabric but there is a pale greeny grey pattern on the fabric that looks beautiful against the Versailles  and the pink in the roses has the same tone as rose fabric which will hang at the window.....see how the bottom of the bird house in Versailles matches the bottom of the large rose covered jug? such a beautiful colour to ground all the pretty sugary colours.....
So lots of work to do this weekend,we can't wait to get there tomorrow and then i can finish my wall that i painted with a sandstone colour last week to tie in with the tiles on the hearth...this weekend i will lightly sponge and dry paint it with pale grey and antique white to give it a soft faux stone look....we had to light the fire last week it was so cold in June!!!.....The skirting board is on a slope as it is waiting for new floorboards to be pushed underneath it......
On top of the chimney we now have a baby sea gull who is just adorable...there were three chicks but one has died and one is missing...other gulls will snatch the chicks if they have the chance.....life can be cruel some times but i am concentrating on the one that is alive just like the mother.......

So that's it from me and Shingle Cottage.....

Join me next time for,Annie Sloan paint make overs,kitchen cupboard pictures,Sea gull chicks,lampshade techniques and for more tales and goings on down at Shingle Cottage....


24 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is going to be so beautiful when it is done.Love that color on your lamp.And all those roses too!
    ((((Hugs))))
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me get this straight......
    Someone covered over STORAGE,?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is getting so good!!! I love the pieces you have finished in versailles and antoinette~I think I have the same cherub holding onto a lamppole in my shop..it is a floor lamp with a marble circle table and the cherub sits there...yours came out so perfect! Thanks for bragging on me~you are gonna make me get a big fat head!! Someday I swear I am coming over there to sleep in this cottage and walk through the french doors to the garden! I am excited for your viison and the colors you have chosen~its all so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear more of what you think about the chalk paint. Love all the work you've been doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gaaaah! Everything is so fabulous... i'm totally living vicariously through you with your cottage transformation. And, lord have mercy, what in the world could be better than a pink gingham check... i love gingham! It sounds to me like coming into the house through your cottage garden, into the heart of the home, the kitchen, will be the best thing ever... screw what other decorators say... you soooo know what you're doing. This is all so so fun to watch, i can't believe how "together" you are with how it's all gonna play out in the end. I would sooo be all over the place with this idea and that. And, i love your surviving little baby seagull.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, i commented and i think it didn't publish! So here i go again..

    This is all just too fabulous, i am totally living vicariously through your cottage transformation. I love love love your pink gingham check, gingham is one of my favorite things... and you're soooo doing it well. Friends will enter by walking through your cottage garden, and then into the heart of the home the kitchen...? what could be better than that. The heck with what standard decorating rules say... you totally know what you're doing. This is all just so fun, and what you guys are doing is amazing!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen is going to look amazing! I love all the little transformations on the lamp and bird houses they are beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the end result, Annie Sloan paint is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post and the soft colors you are choosing are so lovely. I will be back for more! You have good taste in friends...I adore Amy also.


    Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just come by your blog through Les Couronnes Sauvage,I love your colouring. I have not tried Versailles yet but I want to now! I used ASCP on my badly stained burgundy stone fireplace and it came out beautifully. If you pop onto my blog you can see how it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how fun to see your cottage come to life, it is definitly a charmer! And I'm so loving the fresh fabrics for your kitchen so cozy and inviting! I love seeing the progress, XO Christie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cottage is going to be beautiful! Your style reminds me of Cabbages and Roses. What a lovely find under the dry wall. We've renovated several homes and never discovered something so lovely. Our finds were usually the OH no!!! How much is this going to cost? Beautiful lamp!

    Best,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing, it is inspirational :)
    I am just about to use Annie's paint for the first time...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore those bird houses!! Annie Sloan's chalk paint is definitely easier than painting messy undercoat and top coat...glad you found your book...look forward to the kitchen cupboard makeover! Have a great working weekend. Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love birdhouses, too! I'm visiting from Brenda's...WELCOME!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is quite the kitchen makeover! i love the cupboards above the window and your colour choices are gorgeous! Found you through Cozy Little House.

    I am a new follower!

    Bronwyn @ Queen B Creative Me

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just purchased my first quart of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. You inspired me! Can't wait to get busy on a project or two. Love your blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see it all done, great plans, loving the colours. Also, so great to find those cupboards under the plasterboard, such a bonus. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so amazing. I can't believe the inspiration that you have. Weren't your surprised to find cabinets behind the hard board? What a find. Why would anyone cover them over? Your cottage will so lovely when you have put it all together. I admire your ability to see--to dream--and then put it together. So perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The fabric and paint that you have chosen for you kitchen are beautiful! I will be checking back to see your progress!! Hugs,Penny

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely! I can't wait to see it finished. Have a gorgeous weekend ahead, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've just found your wonderful blog. The kitchen should be amazing - I particularly love what you have done with the lamps and bird houses. I'll be back to check on progress too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my first time here and I am so glad to have found you during this amazing transformation. Can't wait for your report on your kitchen cabinets. I really must paint mine so I am watching carefully. Thanks for sharing.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am just about to start thinking about Annie Sloan....and guess what!!! I find your blog after Googling it!!!!! How are you x x xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x