Friday, 15 June 2012

English Garden,Florals And Toile....

Here i am again writing a blog and then heading over to the coast for more building work at Shingle Cottage.....

I was lucky enough to win a roll of Sanderson wallpaper called 'English Garden' on Ebay and it arrived last week...it's a beautiful old blousy rose and lilac pattern and the flowers have a raised pattern which gives it a hand painted look....i am going to paper a small feature wall or paper some furniture with it.....the lady i bought it from told me her daughters bedroom was decorated in this when she was a girl and she is now married with children of her own....i can only imagine how pretty it must have looked.....
Talking of English Gardens i also ordered this book earlier this week 'The Romantic English Garden' which is a very pretty book filled with poetry,illustrations and beautiful pictures of rose gardens...it is the kind of book i would read while whiling away the hours in the garden or perhaps on a rainy day while resting in a window seat....romantics and rose lovers would enjoy this book....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The floral applique will be fixed to a drawer in Shingle Cottage this weekend....
I  have see many pictures on blogs from  abroad recreating the English Garden look and i have to say ladies don't have your paths too tidy and i am not saying that as a criticism but look in the picture below how the leaves fall over and soften the path? that is how you will find most English Gardens...if there has been a shower then your dress would most certainly catch the rain as you walked by.....
Excellent plants for this soft romantic look are Lavender,Hosta's and Lady's Mantle........

I picked up this sample of a similar paper by Laura Ashley called   Josette Carnation below which is  French toile damask inspired,it has a lilac printed with the pink over the top which gives it a really beautiful dusky rose colour.....i would like this for a feature wall in our bedroom....
I have the curtains or drapes below in a soft chalk pink and picked up this pink paint called Sorbet by Dulux,i have searched for the perfect pink for our bedroom for ages and this one is perfect...i have found when decorating with pink you have to have a few different tones otherwise it can look like a child's bedroom and lack any sophistication.... Sorbet has a shell pink tone to it,a sunny pink which    compliments the chalk pink in the curtains and brings out the lilac in the paper......
I think i would have named it Parisian Pink and i would change the dark grey of the container to a white.......
Talking of pink,i have started  to paint a large mirror......
In pink!........

My neighbor at the coast gave me two table lamps last weekend as she felt they were too tall for her...first was a green onyx and brass cherub which i have plans for next week....
This shade below would have probably looked nice with the lamp above back in its day,i stripped this shade ready for recovering .....
The second lamp base she gave me is grey marble and the shade above will be paired with this once i have finished covering it ..................
I have found it really hard to sew this week after breaking most of my nails while filling the skip/dumpster at Shingle Cottage last week......
Here is a sneak peek of the blue toile below,i have to make the striped edging when i return home this weekend.....
I hope your weekend is wonderful.....join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage....

XxX

5 comments:

  1. Oh my~you have the best taste!! At least I think it is fabulous!! I love that laura ashley wallpaper!! it is so pretty wtih your pink paint and draperies...and that lampshade is amazing...you amaze!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!!
    Do you know how to sew lampshades??????
    That is something I REALLY want to learn to do!!!!!!!!
    Is there a book that shows how?
    I want to sew like the pros.....with rolled sewn edge....it looks like that is JUST WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I want that book. And did you know my last name is Sanderson? Your lampshade is gorgeous. I would never know how to cover and sew a lampshade myself. Have fun this weekend. ox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh pink, it's such a crazy color to work with when it comes to walls... i've fought like a banshee finding the right pink, and the color i loved the most on the color swatch, made me want to rip my eyeballs out when i put it on the walls! It does look like you've found a good one though... and i love love your curtains, and your fabulous ornate mirror. I am soooo living vicariously watching you renovate Shingle Cottage... it's wonderful...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x