Monday, 18 June 2012

Mirror Mirror On The Wall.....


Today i finished painting my mirror that i had told you about in my last post,here is a glimpse below of how it turned out,i will reveal all at the end of this post but first i thought you may enjoy a tutorial on how to achieve this look........
The mirror before was a run of the mill faux aged gold finish,nothing fancy and to be honest a little dull to look at,so i painted it a soft pale pink.....
It looked much better to me already.....i left the edge around the mirror in it's original faux gold to add interest later.......
Next i mixed acrylic paints together...Antique White,Dusky Rose And Orange...........
I mixed a little more Dusky Pink than Orange until i had a pretty Shell Pink.......
I painted the Shell Pink here and there and brushed the rest of the carved moldings in Antique White and it looked like this below......just paint here and there it does not have to be perfect...it will look older and softer to the eye if it isn't.....
Next i mixed Gold,Brown And Antique White together below to create a muddy colour which i then  used to age the mirror...... 
First i painted it on heavy with a wet brush,keep your brush wet as you can work the paint for longer until you have your desired look.....
I then stippled it all over pushing it deep into the molding with a stencil brush.....wipe your stencil brush on tissue in between aging moldings so you don't get heavy wet build up on this brush......
Wipe around the edges of the molding with a wet sponge as it is these pieces that are going to be aged the rest of the mirror will be left in it's base coat of soft pale pink.....
Then with a clean damp sponge gently rub here and there over the molding until you can see the Antique White underneath,leaving the muddy aged paint in the deeper crevices.....
You can rub a little harder on the Shell Pink with the damp sponge and it will lift some of the colour away creating an aged appearance as below.......
The edge around the mirror that i had left in it's original faux gold below was painted over with the same muddy colour,you can see here on the left of the picture that i painted it all around and wiped it back gently with a damp sponge...this blended the soft pink of the mirror into the faux gold.....
Antique White was sponged over the remaining faux gold towards the inside edge next to the glass.....

You can see here below from left to right the softening of the muddy paint on one side of the trim and the Antique White on the other.....
Below the faux gold trim now blends softly and effortlessly with the rest of the mirror and also adds interest and gives a bespoke look......

My mirror finished and ready to be packed for her journey to Shingle Cottage........I  see a few pieces of furniture in her reflection that may be getting a makeover very soon.......
I think it turned out very Marie Antoinette don't you?......


We are driving back to Shingle Cottage in the morning as a little house right opposite ours has come up for sale and my Mum is going to view it tomorrow,it is very exciting as she wants to live near us so that i can look after her.....



Join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage.......

11 comments:

  1. It is really beautiful and will look so good with all of your cottage decor. I believe the original would have looked best in my french inspired sea cottage...or maybe white. It's such a lovely mirror. You lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh now that is fun news about the house for sale...I hope it works out!! And the mirror is just divine~truly lovely! What can't you do girl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an excellent job..it looks beautiful! take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I don't know how I have missed your last 3 posts. They are not showing up in my list of blogs; don't know why. I do love the Parisian pink that you have chosen. I love pink pink, but this pink has subtleness that makes warm and interesting. You are making great progress. Wouldn't be nice to have your mom close by? I think so. I do enjoy seeing how you accomplish all of your projects. I hope your mom loves the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GASP! That's beautiful! It just takes my breath away, and how clever. When i first saw that image on Pinterest I thought it was so stunning, and now you've created your own version. I have to program this one in my brain for future makeovers!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really have made your mirror something special. It is lovely.
    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a wonderful job--it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very pretty and I like all the reflections of furniture in the mirror also

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the mirror, it's a very soft elegant look, it will certainly blend in with your other pale pink items you've painted recently. Look forward to seeing it all finished! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mirror is so gorgeous, if you'd not shown the steps I'd have not believed!
    You have such incredible talent! I so proud to have you share with us at
    Ivy and Elephants.. It's creative people like you who put the "P" in party!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x