Friday, 27 July 2012

Frenchy Bedside Cabinets

I visited a clients house two nights ago carrying a bag full of books to inspire and a head full of ideas to discuss a custom paint job i was to take on two Frenchy bedside cabinets that she had purchased...here you can see them in all their glory.....

My client has a beautiful home that is filled with beautiful furniture and furnishings,she has a great eye for design and has many of her own fabric and paint swatches put together in files but she is always open to fresh eyes,opinions and ideas......in fact i think we two could stay up until the early hours talking interiors......
After we sat together flicking through books and listening to my client saying "oh i love that" and "oh that is beautiful" i built up a good picture of what she found fussy and what she found elegant....
I asked to look at the bedroom that the Frenchy bedside cabinets would be living in and asked questions about the French yellow gold wall colour and took into account the cream of the wrought iron bed that would be staying  that the cabinets would be sitting next,the fabric of the drapes and padded pelmet box that would be staying  so i could get a really good idea of the look my client was wanting to achieve.....
I asked to take some photographs of the drapes for colour reference but  my client had one better and she sent me home with a sample of the beautiful quilted fabric that the bedroom drapes are made from....
Below is how the cabinets looked originally sat on a dust sheet waiting for their custom paint job.....
The tops are a grey marble and that did concern me as the bedroom is full of warm colours and i knew i would have to tie the marble in or it would stand out and not in a good way,the room is to be soft,French and elegant.....
Below is when i thought i had it all worked out and finished but the grey marble still sits alone while the Old Ochre,Old White and Scandinavian Pink blend together perfectly,it needed a little more work.....look at the top left leg at the front you can see the warm cream against the cool grey of the marble.....
I mixed Paris Grey with various other Annie Sloan Chalk Paints and let them dry until i came up with a perfect match for the colour of the marble...this was washed along the carvings,edges and door moldings and you can see below it now pulls the grey of the marble in to the rest of the colour design...see at the top left leg now how the grey flows?.....
I mixed my  Annie Sloan Chalk Paints until the background colour of the cabinets matched with the creamy gold in the fabric which will create unity and a soft look to the bedroom.....
The curves of the legs  so much prettier now they are painted.....
Soft distressing was applied and colours were blended together over and over to create the look of an old water colour.....
I will be adding some dark wax here and there to age the cabinets when i return home from Shingle Cottage this weekend..my time away will allow everything to set....
They will be home early next week in the prettiest French inspired bedroom......
I will also be sourcing a lamp base,custom sewing a lampshade and painting a huge brass chandelier for my clients beach house in the next few weeks which is exciting!......

But today i am on my way to Shingle Cottage where i will be painting for myself....i have a few boxes of furnishings of my own and of course my trusty camera,so join me next time for more tales and goings on from my beloved Shingle Cottage.......

7 comments:

  1. You did a marvellous job I didn't know you did interior designing. The colours look beautiful coordinated together. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! They're brilliant! You're brilliant... you totally pulled it together, and the soft pink, just melds amazingly with the reds... I can't believe how beautiful the color combination turned out!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I think your client will freak out about these--they are lovely!!! What kind of paint is the pink? I love it. The shape of those is so pretty--everything about them I just love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty, I loved seeing the closeup of the detail work and the brush strokes. Gonna share on my FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a transformation. The tables are beautiful. How do you prepare the original final for paint? Do you do a lot sanding? Are the tables all natural wood or are they polymers or pressed wood? With marble tops, I doubt that they are anything but real wood. You do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job on the cabinets! What a difference paint makes. Your client is so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Śliczne stoliki , marzenie takie mieć ..\Pozdrawiam Viola ..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x