Monday, 20 August 2012

China,Flowers and The Wardrobe!


This last week was so busy...I spent the week finishing projects....a clock....table and lots of sewing for my little shop and then all of a sudden it was Friday!.......I hurried round packing for our weekend away at Shingle Cottage and as always i packed a box of china to take with me...My plan is if i take it all in bits week by week it will have less chance of getting broken in the move and so far my plan seems to be working...
This very old chipped flower encrusted ink well below has given me some colour ideas for Steve's writing desk......My eye is on the pink at the top or maybe the leaf green and aqua.....We shall see....

I  packed some of my pretty continental china too...i love curvy old handles,painted roses and gilt,so dreamy......
The dining table at home sits covered in the things i want to take with me and i pack up my selection and take it with me on a Friday to unpack it at Shingle Cottage,the packing and boxes then come back for the same again next week......I really enjoy this part because there is only so much we can fit in the car and its exciting having it pass through my hands like the first time i saw them and remembering sometimes bought from where? or who by?.......
While in Ikea a few weeks ago where we picked up our kitchen sink i spotted these pink dinner plates below and had to have them...They are such a pretty coral peach pink and are a great price for every day table ware....They go really well with the Bombay Duck Vintage Tea Party cups standing on top too.....I like old vintage and i like new....If i think it is pretty i will take it home.....
But i love old gilt and roses the most on china.....
I worked really hard In the kitchen at Shingle Cottage over the weekend getting all the cupboards painted inside and all the frame work outside ready for the doors to go back on next weekend.....I painted inside one of the cupboards in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White and here is a sneak peek below......I want to show you this side of the kitchen when the cupboard doors are fitted so you get the full look....the Old White is so beautiful and it looks great next to old and new china....
Before i forget......
I have started to answer your comments directly underneath where you leave them as some of you do not have email reply set up so if you ask me a question or leave me a comment be sure to pop back and check for my reply......Thank you for your comments and encouragement we really appreciate it and are so glad you are with us on our journey......




Meanwhile in the bedroom Steve fitted the cladded ceiling and built a frame work for a huge wardrobe to hold all my our clothes and accessorizes....Steve had worked on an old cottage where the owners had the original pine doors taken out and they were headed for a skip/dumpster when Steve asked if he could have them...They are really heavy!......We have had them for ages and i thought they would make really great wardrobe doors once painted So i had a little word with Steve and he agreed......
By the time we left yesterday afternoon we had the ceiling cladded and a faux beam that Steve built with shaped routed edges.....i wish i had a close up picture to show you how clever he is and how lucky i am.......You can just see the wire dangling from the beam where we will be hanging a pretty French chandelier over the bed.......
Thank the lord for Annie Sloan  and her amazing Chalk Paint as i was dreading stripping those doors but not anymore i can just paint straight on top of them next weekend........
As you walk out of the bedroom you see the little cast iron fireplace in the hallway.....Steve had fitted skirting boards and the new floor and last week i caulked and primed and then painted it all over in an Antique White.....Then dressed it up with a mirror and some things i had brought with me......So it went from this.....
To this...........Steve laughed and said those roses shoved in the fire grate looks like my Grandmas haha....He is funny and i thought the same.....as i said i only have so much to bring so i have to play with what i have.....Everything is up for change.....I hung the mirror low after Sweet pea said it picked up the reflection of the shell pink mirror and flowers,she is so clever as i love this view and now i get to see it twice.......
The urn above was given to me by a friend and i painted it in Annie Sloan Paris Grey and then wiped it down with Old White...... I really liked how it turned out and now it is ready to be filled with flowers.....I kept the French inspired theme  going with a bird cage...a pair of cast iron birds and two miniature rose bushes......
The mirror was also painted in Annie Sloan Country Grey and then washed over in Old White and then buffed with gold gilt here and there.....
If those rose bushes stay on the little fireplace i think i will age the pots a little and i have a few large pink conch shells which i may take to put in  the fire grate......
I love playing cottage on a weekend and although we still have so much work to do it is really starting to come together.......
The weather was wonderful at the weekend and we spent Saturday evening having drinks in the garden with four of our neighbors watching the sky turn pink as the sun went down........

My friend who introduced me to sweet peas said it was especially pink for me and that she had ordered it earlier in the evening...She is such a great friend ;) every weekend she cuts me a bunch of sweet peas to take home which is the sweetest thing as the car is filled with perfume all the way home and once at home in the city i think of her every morning when i see them in all their pretty colours on the window sill.....I have told her i am now nick naming her 'Sweet Pea'.....

Everyone keeps telling us we will be so happy living here and you know i have a feeling they may be right.......



Join me next time for more tales and goings on  from Shingle Cottage.......

XxX

19 comments:

  1. Oh I love the doors your hubby saved and made them into a closet for your bedroom!~they are terrific! As is the little fireplaced area, so darling! What a sweet cottage you will live in...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! He did such a great job and i can not wait to paint them x

      Delete
  2. I love the fireplace area! It looks so sweet. The plates from Ikea are pretty--I love the pink. Haven't seen those there yet. The teacups are adorable. Love the rose teapot. You are doing a great job with the chalk paint. I enjoy seeing your projects so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! the pink ikea plates are really lovely grab some if you see them x

      Delete
  3. It's all just absolutely perfect ... I love it all! I'll have to go back and look right through your blg as I thought you already lived at Shingle Cotrage. How exciting ... I eat you cab't wait to live ther, it's beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xxx We are hoping to move in at the end beginning of December,i really want to be their for Christmas x

      Delete
  4. Stunning doors - they will look amazing once painted and I love your hallway with the mirror - it all looks very homely...so cottagey...Have a great week! Sharon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to paint them Sharon :) and we get a nice long weekend this week don't we? Thank you xxx

      Delete
  5. I know I keep saying how beautiful it all looks, but I really mean it. It is so great that we get to see all that you are doing to your cottage. It is very inspiring and you have given me so many ideas.

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Amy Jo :) it is so nice of you to say,we are having such a great time rebuilding Shingle Cottage and i am so happy you like seeing it as it all comes along xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in LOVE with your stunning china and amazing house decor!!! girl, you blew me away!!! Unbeleivable! :D

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine :) Thank you so much! xxx

      Delete
  8. This is all just too delightful, and exciting... i'm pretty sure i'm living vicariously through it all. Everything is so pretty, and all of it is completely coming together in your little dream beach cottage. How cool is that!!? This is like the best story in the world to read as you post updates, and i am so happy for you and inspired that you've both found a way to do something so freakin cool...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cindy!
    Thank you i love having you here,It has been quite a journey hasn't it? I am really having so much fun now making it look like our dream beach cottage and i have so much more to do which means there will be so much more for you to see ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is coming together so perfectly. I do wonder how you do it. The doors are perfect, aren't they? Steve has a good eye for what to save then how to use it. I am enjoying the weekly progress. And my hydrangea love the coffee grounds that you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann i am wondering how we do it too ;)....I am really proud of Steve he amazes me every week....I tell him what i have in mind and next thing he has made it ready for me to paint.
      It is amazing how quickly hydrangea start to show they like them isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  11. I am catching up on my favourite blogs its definitely been a while, the house is taking great shape I am totally in love with the whole colour scheme you have got it right throughout. I have the same mirror as you it was once gold I think it is made out of plaster as it has been chipped by the previous owner, I dont have a place to put it hopefully one day I will have a new wall to place it. Keep up the great work you will be so happy in your new home I can tell. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Tracy :)
    I nearly painted the mirror in Antoinette ;) i am going to pop over and see what you have been up to xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful, wonderful!! Fantastic! Now I want to go paint....
    Nancy
    Http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x