Monday, 6 August 2012

Shingle Cottage Kitchen


We arrived at Shingle Cottage with kitchen units,wood block work tops,boxes of furnishings and  we even had the kitchen sink!.........

The car was unpacked and i made a little pile of belongings at the end of the hallway and then after a quick drink and sandwich my Mum had packed it was time to start work on our kitchen.........
While popping in and out of other rooms for things we needed i noticed that the little pile i created looked like a little store and the end of my very own hallway...i bought everything ;) and hurried back to work......
Goodbye old sink covered in paint.....Thank you for putting us on for the last two years....
We started to build the units  up and Steve moved all the water pipes............
Steve then routed a pattern to the edge of the butchers block work top we had chosen to give it a more old charm finish.....
It went from a square sharp edge to this lovely round beveled edge below and after a light sand it looked wonderful....
We then fitted the sink (oh my lord how heavy?) and tap and after Steve was happy with how the work top on the right of the sink looked he measured for the left side.......It was starting to look very different and i was getting excited with thoughts of decorating and how the finished look would be.....
The cupboard doors and drawers were next...we chose a cladded look to go with the cladding behind the sink and the floor boards keeping that cottage look....
Steve then boxed in the end of the units with cladding to match with the wall behind...the cladding we used for this is thick like floor boarding and this gave it a really chunky fitted hand made look......the white window ledge is still there but hopefully will be gone in the next few weeks....
When we had finished our work for the weekend it was time to put things together and see how it looked...Steve is such a great guy he lets me play house or should i say 'play cottage'  every weekend and the next weekend i move it all so we can work some more....A posy picked from our cottage garden ready to sit in a little milk jug...my neighbor popped round later and loved the little posy so i let her take it home with her there are plenty more flowers to enjoy.....
I also brought my little chippy pink milk stool and a little table i had painted earlier in cream with green piping here and there and aged with a dark finish that will be perfect for tea for two........One lump or two?.....
Oh i am craving that cottage life style i have dreamed of for so long....i want to listen to golden oldies and while wearing a 1950's esque dress and pinny i will bake in my Shingle Cottage kitchen......
Steve hung the pink and white stripe wall shelf i shared with you in an earlier post and i trimmed it with pretty china....i have so much more to bring but there is only so much we can fit in the car....
Look as you come in the front door this is what you see below......Still a lot of work to do but our dream is coming true.... 

Shingle Cottage kitchen does not know of fashions and hype she is happy in her vintage state of feminine pink and floral prettiness.....This is a girls cottage kitchen,the kind of place you would sit  and drink tea with a slice of cream sponge cake while sharing troubles and as you walk out maybe take a posy of hand picked cottage flowers with you feeling a little lighter and a little brighter....

I need to cover the two chairs i have for either side of the table this week in their pink and white gingham check fabric and rose print ruffled skirt...it would finish the picture nicely.....
We had a wonderful night on Saturday at our neighbors by the way and as we crossed over the road and walked past the white picket fence we opened the gate to Shingle Cottage at nearly one o'clock in the morning full with a wonderful meal and talking of the fun we had had......my favorite part of the evening was the toast to 'new friends' being a nostalgic sentimental girl it hit my heart strings and i have carried that warm fuzzy feeling around me with ever since......
As i looked through from the hallway on Sunday morning i could not believe how beautiful everything looked from when we had arrived on Friday.....i have thanked Steve over and over for all his hard work and he keeps telling me i worked with him......you can see the cladded fronts of the cupboards and drawers...the two drawers under the sink are different to the ones on the two cupboards either side we did not want a fitted kitchen look more of an add on here and there over the years cottage kitchen look and this is easy to achieve by just mis matching the doors and adding your own  real wood kickboard and side panels......We made a kick board for underneath out of floorboards and next week this will be getting a good coat of paint.....I love how the door opens towards the sink and the large glass panel allows me to see the sea but it will look much prettier when i hang some lace up to blow in the sea breeze....
See the mirror below in the back ground i did achieve the look i wanted and i washed over the little table i showed you last time with old white and it had a good coat of wax before we left....i will show you these next week,we always seem to run out of time on a Sunday....
If your passing on a weekend do stop by for tea,many do and we are always glad of a break.......
Now where did i put that gingham fabric?......

Join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage......

XxX

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, I have serious kitchen envy ... It's all just perfect! So glad I found your blog, it's soo me!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love the way your kitchen is coming together, sooo sweet!!! I can't wait to see more! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be the most beautiful kitchen I have ever seen Its pristine and all of the colours go so well together even down to the smallest accessories I would love a kitchen like this. You both have done so well. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL!!! You have done an amazing job.It looks so cozy.Lovely cottage style!!!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen looks so pretty, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is looking so pretty--the new sink is awesome. Love the idea of using pink gingham in there. It is going to be gorgeous (well actually, it already is)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen is looking so beautiful!! I wish I really could stop in for tea....

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is ALL so VERY GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for sharing!
    x Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful, cosy, inviting and so pretty...I'll have two lumps of sugar please with milk....Love how it all looks, and how happy you are both going to be when you finally move in...Have a lovely weekend. Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its beautiful!! I love the view looking at the sink all finished up with the birdhouses on the ledge and the door propped open. I can imagine the breeze blowing the lace or dotted swiss curtains too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. caroline belmarez22 August 2012 at 14:23

    I LOVE IT!!!! GOOD WORK!! IT LOOKS VERY INVITING AND BLISSFUL! :) ONE OF THE BEST KITCHENS I HAVE SEEN. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, just got your message on Twitter with the link to this. I seemed to have missed it somehow until today. WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! Talk about a kitchen straight out of a stunning interiors mag. You must both be so proud.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Oh how I wish I WAS going to pass by, so I can meet you and swoon at it in real life.
    Gem xx x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you didn't mind me sending you a link but thought you might like to see the other pictures :) I wish all the cottage were finished and me and you were sat in the kitchen having tea and cake ;) xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x