Friday, 21 September 2012

Goodbye Summer and Hello Autumn!

As i sit and type scarlet red ivy leaves float past my window and i am listening to 'They Say' by Geraldo and his orchestra....  the leaves on the trees are wet with rain and some are turning a golden hue.....Oh hello Autumn! you dreamy old snuggling down in a feather duvet time of year,how i love you so......
Soon the flowers in the garden at Shingle Cottage will be sound asleep dreaming of Spring but Sweet Pea and i are not ready to say goodbye to our beloved hydrangea so this weekend we will be trying once more to dry some so we can gaze at them through the long Winter months until they awake.....
We have not had much luck at drying them this year so hopefully third time lucky!...Here is a bunch we picked last weekend......We love the ones with lime green in the centers..... 
Steve will be plastering the bedroom walls this weekend and as we speak he is packing his tools in the car,its always rush,rush on a Friday...Last weekend he insulated all the cavity's and plaster boarded the walls and he also built a small faux fireplace which will be at the foot of our bed.....cables were laid either side for two wall lights and we have another cast iron fireplace that matches the one we have in the hallway to go here.......

I have primed  the wood around the wardrobe and with the plasterboard on it is starting to look like a  room....I left the wardrobe doors for now as plastering is a messy business.....you can see the frame here for the faux chimney breast......if we look right past the step ladders you can see into the hallway below and the two pictures that i talked about last time.......lets go out into the hall as i want to show you something.... 
Ahhh there it is the mirror that we hung a few weeks ago.....i painted it in a green blue and i have a few things to hang around it but i wanted you to see how the pictures tie everything together....in the mirror you can see the far end of the hallway which is pink and green and at this end the mirror is green blue but if you look at the pictures they have blue drawers with pink and green flowers,jugs and bowls on top and that pulls the two mirrors one pink and one green blue together.....now lets go into the kitchen.....
Remember the cladded pine wall i showed you last time? well here it is all painted and the wood work tops all oiled and polished back in place......excuse the paint tins,this is were our fridge will sit and it looks like i may be able to get the ruffled curtain i am hanging underneath run up on the sewing machine very soon....
I really love how the wood tops look oiled,all the colours have come out in the wood and it is so rich and reminds me of conkers.....
I really like seeing this sign....sometimes you just need a little reminder that although things go wrong and bad days come life really is wonderful and those grey days always,always go....
Quick back in the bedroom i got a little side tracked didn't i? that's the trouble with day dreamers and romantics they tend to drift ;)
My guy knowing me oh so well popped in a chunky beam as he said "i know you will be hanging something on here and knowing you it will be heavy" haha yes Steve maybe a mirror? or wall shelf,we shall see my love.........
You really could start to see the little fireplace come to life when Steve cut and hung the plasterboard....
So here is Shingle Cottage Boudoir so far,she needs new windows but i think she is looking good already......to think i will be sleeping in here on Christmas Eve....ooooh how dreamy! steady on girl or you will  slide into dream land once more...yes now where was i? oh yes windows,well talking of windows....
Last weekend we finished all the woodwork around the front room window below and primed and top coated it all and this is how it looked when had finished.......I will be lining the walls in here this weekend.....
You can see the window in the mirror on the fireplace,it is a lovely light and bright south facing room...Here is a little peek of things i have piled on the mantel piece so far...pictures are to be hung and the clock is to be moved but i like how it is starting to take shape......the little silver candlestick was picked up by me while we were out gallivanting in my last post.....
I hope i can leave this kitchen corner alone this weekend as i have faffed about with it rather a lot trying to get my look...'my look' is when it pleases my eye and i don't want to move anything....
I added pretty pink rose china and tea cups and some with cottages scenes.....
Candy jars and a vintage rose bowl with a peppermint  green border...
A pink picnic hamper under my chopping block and yes so far i am happy with how it looks....... the little blue table is waiting for me to wallpaper the front room so it can find a place to rest....
I will be sanding these pink cupboard doors this afternoon too...i want a chippy worn look to them and then after a little wax i can add pretty cut glass  handles.....
Would you look at the time! I need to get going...i have sandwiches to make....you see we always stop next to a meadow we know for a picnic, just the two of us watching the cows grazing on lush  grass...oh and there are always  swallows swooping and diving underneath the sycamore trees,i think along with robins and wrens they are my favorite bird....A little half hour of bliss and then off we go.....
Well my dear readers i wish you all a beautiful weekend and remember my friend Sweet Pea says 'life is what you make it' and it is so true you just have to keep your eyes on  the pretty things in life,the love and laughter and the memories you are making and the rest will take care of  its self......

Do you hear it? ahh the sea is calling and soon i will smell the salty air as i lift the latch on the gate at Shingle Cottage.......tonight  we will hear the scuttle bucket rattle as we pop a little coal on the fire and outside smoke will puff  from our chimney while inside we will fall asleep in a soft sweet warm glow....uh oh here i go again!!.....

 


Join me next time for more bedroom tales and decorating goings on from  Shingle Cottage
XxX

26 comments:

  1. I always get excited when I see Shingle Cottage on my sidebar and you never fail to deliver! Thanks for sharing your journey of loveliness with us xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you own in this house has so much character lots of beautiful pieces. Where do you find all of this stuff you certainly have a eye. I love the wooden panels on the wall. I will be taking some of your inspiration to our next home. I bet you can not wait till its all completed. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Antoinette ;)
      Oh i rummage here and there for treasure,charity shops,antique fairs,Ebay,Etsy and of course new when we are out and about and i have been collecting for a long time too so it is just a collection from over the years and thankfully it all seems to fit in Shingle Cottage rather well xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh what a darling post! Almost finished, it's looking romantic and dreamy just as you wanted. It's so lovely to see dreams come to life, window by window and tea cup by tea cup! Have a lovely weekend and I do hope you enjoy your picnic! Life is definitely what we make of it! :) Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon :)
      I love "Window by window and tea cup by tea cup" it sounds so dreamy! the weekend was fabulous and blue skies can you believe? hope you are well xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh! Your home is amazing. I never get tired of seeing your works in progress photos or your finished rooms. I wish my hubby would allow me to have such a feminine looking home. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bronwyn :)
      Thank you! so kind of you to say,there is still lots to come and a few more rooms and then outside too!....I am very lucky that Steve will let me decorate as feminine as i like but he is very involved and loves home decor and furniture just as much as me xxx

      Delete
  5. Such a huge post filled with goodies to look at~all the progress you two have made is just amazing!! I love that old butcher block by the way~how did you get the top to look so bleached out? Was it a new one or an old one that you lightened up? I am working on one for my shop and it caught my eye of course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!
      The butchers block was old and dark when i got my hands on it....i wash the block top with neat household bleach on a cloth and leave it to soak and dry and it comes up that lovely pale bleached out colour x

      Delete
  6. Everything looks so beautiful! I can just smell that new construction smell. I love that remodeling smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy!
      Yes the smell is gorgeous especially all the new wood,its beautiful x

      Delete
  7. I don't even know what to say, it is all so wonderful... I feel like i just went on a trip to a dream cottage by the sea. Everything is just completely perfectly beautful, and sweet and homey, and bright ... Wow

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy!
      You would be welcome at Shingle Cottage anytime! i love the picture of you in your hat its so beautiful xxx

      Delete
  8. I always love your closing paragraphs; they paint such a beautiful mental picture of life at Shingle Cottage. Thank you for sharing it all with us.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane,
      I love dreaming them up each week and thank you for visiting Shingle Cottage xxx

      Delete
  9. What a lovely word picture you paint! And the actual photographs are so lovely. The cottage is going to be something out of a fairy tale. And by the sea!!! How very blessed you are! And I am blessed by being able to travel along on your journey. Just wish I could join you for the picnic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandra,
      Thank you so much! yes i feel very blessed to have a cottage by the sea and sometimes i have to pinch myself,i still can't believe it if i'm honest...Thank you for being with us on our journey its great to have you xxx

      Delete
  10. LOVE your room deco, its just getting more and more beautiful! :D

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  11. What pretty vignettes you have. Even with all of the construction going on.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do hope you have an open house and invite all of us. I don't know what my favorite corner is: the bay window, a fire place in the bedroom, or is it the sweet corner in the kitchen? It is so wonderful and heart warming to see someone accomplish her dreams, reach her goals, be so happy and cheerful. Beautiful thoughts, beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are always welcome Ann and thank you for such a beautiful comment xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love your blog! Your house is beautiful and I can't wait to see what happens next. I was particularly interested in the things you have transformed with the Annie Sloan Paint. I have been wanting to get some for a while now so this morning, inspired by your blog, I tracked down an Annie Sloan stockist here in Cornwall and I'm off to buy some tomorrow. I just hope my efforts are as fantastic as yours :-) Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay!!
      That's great! i am sure you will love Annie Sloan paint,if you have any questions about anything i have painted just email me,i am at Shingle Cottage on weekends but i will answer you as soon as i am home,have fun ;) x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x