Thursday, 25 October 2012

Four Days Away


Last Thursday afternoon a perfectly ordinary car was trundling along a country road in England,It wasn't fancy,sporty or the like but oh how it stood out as it traveled along....You see the shadow it cast on the grass verge as it passed would tell of the furniture being carried on top.......The car and it's cargo were on their way to a little place by the sea called Shingle Cottage and they along with the passengers tucked inside would be staying there until Monday.....
As the car crunched onto the gravel drive and came to a halt the sky above shone a pink feathered dream on the little cottage below.....The sun began to set and drop her shadow across the land as a couple carried furniture up the garden path,Once everything was inside the door on the cottage was closed tightly and  a puff of smoke started to billow from the chimney...... 
Next morning thick mist swirled around Shingle Cottage and as i peered through the window i saw the mist had given up the secret of the spiders who had spun lace all around the gardens.......The scaffolding almost pretty with all it's corners softened......
The arch over the picket gate swagged in jewel droplet lace......
After boiled eggs and toast soldiers it was time for work and Steve was in the boudoir  bedroom about to start the floor when i grabbed my camera.....
First went down the insulation to stop any cold and draughts......
Then new pine floorboards on top....Two lots of floorboards with insulation in between should keep us nice and warm come Winter.....

Meanwhile i was outside armed with a scraper and a sanding block and a sad little cast iron fireplace covered in one too many lairs of paint.......It was to take me most of the day to clean off years and years of every colour gloss paint you can imagine.....
Here she is stripped back to her original cast iron finish...You could now polish her to a nice deep shine with black lead but i wanted her pink and cream!......
But first she would need a coat of metal primer......Cast iron rusts so easily with contact from anything water based,including paint!.........Be warned i have painted cast iron before and thought oh it looks great and then as it starts to dry that dreaded orange starts to bleed through and you are back to sanding back to the cast iron again!.......
You can see all her shapely trim now with all those layers of paint scraped away.......Here she is wet,shiny and very red!.......
I left her and her little chimney damper to dry until morning........
Ahhhhhh time for Laura Ashley Chalk Pink one of my favorite pinks!  It  matches perfectly with my curtains and the glass on my wall lights and chandelier for the bedroom.....
Along with Laura Ashley Ivory below which is my most favorite cream ever!....
I was in the front room with the fire blazing away painting on the first coat of Chalk Pink....Stranger on the shore was blaring out and i thought i'm going to film this so the girls can see a little of what it's like down at Shingle Cottage on a weekend...


Shall we?.....


I also shot a close up below of the Ivory first coat  that i painted on the  inside of the cast iron fireplace  for my readers who have emailed me saying they are too scared to paint furniture etc  and that they are sure theirs would not turn out as well as mine....Well yes your chosen piece will look really streaky and patchy first coat and now you can see so does mine! but it always gets better with the second coat....Get your piece of furniture,choose your paint,prep accordingly and grab a brush is my advice you will never look back.....
 Steve had finished fitting the new floorboards and it was time to cut a hole in the chimney breast he had built in the bedroom for my pink fireplace.....
 Here he is making sure everything is in the middle and with Steve  in this picture you can see how tiny the chimney breast is......Isn't it cute?.....
 Pencil marks around the little feet on the bottom of the fireplace legs.....Steve chiseled out two squares for them to sit in......
 Later that night Steve had fitted most of the new skirting boards,I had painted the ceiling with it's first top coat of antique white and the little pink fireplace sat quietly taking in her new home......
I love the shadow of the door knob on the wall and how the light from the hallway streams across the bedroom floor......
I have our bed ready to paint in Ivory and wall lights are packed along with vintage duvets and frenchy bedside cabinets...... 

Oh the cottage bedroom is really exciting for me although i will miss sleeping by the open fire.....

But then again i have a great guy who i know would fix that for me should i ask as many years ago when we lived two floors up in a draughty but beautiful old Victorian apartment i had told Steve one Christmas how i wish we had  our Christmas tree in the bedroom so i could see it on Christmas Day when we returned home from midnight mass......

Well while i was at work wishing everyone a Merry Christmas Steve was at home carrying the mattress and bedding down the hallway and setting it all back up underneath the Christmas tree and that early Christmas morning i fell asleep gazing at twinkling fairy lights just as i had wished for.....

Don't you just wish you could go back and visit those times all over again?....We were talking at the weekend and Steve had said  that we have had hard times and struggled like everyone else but we have always loved each other and have made our own good times and it is true,those good times just like the bed under the Christmas tree don't have to cost money.....
I am blessed to have Steve who doesn't mind me daydreaming or carrying pink picnic baskets,wearing lace and straw hats with flowers,carrying ruffled parasols,i could pretend i were living any time between now and the eighteen hundreds and he wouldn't bat an eyelid....

At one end of our short Avenue is the sea and at the other is a farmers field,One night after clearing up i popped out into the cold to put some rubbish in the dustbin when i looked up and saw the sky ablaze with neon pink! i ran to get my camera and hurried up to the field as the sun was beginning to drop......As i took this picture there was a grey swirling mist hovering above the freshly ploughed fields and a dark grey thicker fog rolling in on the horizon,it really was a beautiful sight and i felt as if i should be wrapped in a floor length velvet cape with a hood carrying a lantern and calling out for i'm not sure who or what?.....

Well my dear readers it is time for me to go,I have some stitching to attend to and a few fripperies to finish off but i will be back over the next few days and would love for you to join me for a pine writing box i have made over that i would like to share with you,some more from Shingle Cottage and a giveaway just for you!

I hope your day was beautiful.....

XxX







19 comments:

  1. What a fantastic fire place at first I though Laura Ashley had bought out her own range of chalk paint!! My pink friend how I laughed at your video that is my idea of painting heaven! The roaring fire and music you made it look so relaxing. Your house is coming on lovely keep up the good work. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura Ashley Chalk pink is a lovely colour Tracy :) i have used it a lot.....so glad you enjoyed the video ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!!! I like it very much!!! The sky is marvellous and....Shingle Cottage too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I've gone all tingly! Love Strangers On The Shore ... What a lovely tale, and beautiful pictures. You're so lucky to have Shingle Cottage, it's absolutely idyllic. Oh, I have a lovely Steve too, must be the name!

    Loved your makeover, and can't wait to see the next one!

    Love from Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaawww Claire i just had an email from Youtube about copyright and had to change the music :(....Thank you! i am so happy you have a Steve too xxx

      Delete
  4. This is like the best story ever... i'm always completely enchanted, and i love your darlin little pink fireplace...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy,it just had to be pink didn't it? xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh those beautiful skies..and captivating spider webs and that beautiful fireplace! I think I felt warmer just watching that fire. I am doing a giveaway too (my first) and I hope you will stop by and enter if you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy,
      I will pop on over to your blog and be sure to enter mine too xxx

      Delete
  6. I thought my eyes were going to spill over before I could finish reading this post. First, your incredibly beautiful writing (again I say, felt like I was reading a chapter in The Shell Seekers or some similar lovely English tale), followed by the charming little pink fireplace and then finished up with a story about the special love between two people. Each morning when I arise to read through the blogs I follow, I am sad when there is none from Shingle Cottage, but that makes it all the better when there is. This has been one of my favorites ... thank you for sharing your wonderful words and pictures with us.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane thank you for such a kind and lovely comment...Do you know i could write about life at the cottage all day long as it constantly inspires me and sends me off day dreaming here and there.
      Thank you for stopping by xxx

      Delete
  7. I love your fireplace!!! I think you created a masterpiece! :D And your lovely lovestory is a tearjerker!!!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw Katherine Thank you! Have a beautiful weekend x

      Delete
  8. Hi,I thought it was just me who got teary over your beautiful writing!!Your cottage is soooo beautiful and the sunset stunning, can't wait to hear the next instalment all that and Downton too! perfect Sunday.Warm Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!Such a lovely compliment Pam x.......I am sat waiting for Downton to begin,Love Sunday nights x

      Delete
  9. I so love to read your blog, your words come to life, as if I was actually there in your fabulous little cottage by the sea. How blessed you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh this was a lovely post and a wonderful video that just put me right over your shoulder watching you at your work on the fixing of the cottage! So fun to be in England whilst in my pajamas this morning....haha!
    It all is wonderful, the best part is you and Steve creating this shelter from the world together. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Amy :)
    Haha i have a picture of you in pajamas in England now!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x