Thursday, 8 November 2012

Pink,Roses & Rosewater!

Bbbbrrrrr! It was cold  at Shingle Cottage at the weekend,i mean oh so cold! 
Those rare little weekends of the temperature soaring and that wonderful feeling of  ooooohh Summer  is back she's not ready to leave us just yet are long gone! Dark mornings and chilly air are now the order of the day and it makes me happy looking at the picture below that i chose pale vanilla white paint for the cladded walls in the kitchen and a mixture of pink and green English china because even on those damp dreary days it looks fresh and bright in here and soon a string or two of fairy lights will make it a little dreamy on a Winter evening.

Pink Cottage Bouquet Of Roses from Steve to make my weekend a little sweeter,A great guy and a lucky girl!.....


We had coal and logs piled high and crackling away in the fire grate and an electric fan blowing cozy warm air across the bedroom as we worked over the weekend.
I spent Saturday in the attic rolling out loft insulation to wrap Shingle Cottage in a snug blanket and to stop the heat leaving downstairs and Steve worked away putting a new ceiling up in what will be the laundry room and prepared the walls for a boiler!!!! yes after two years and a lot of hard work we have worked room to room and we have arrived at that wonderful stage where in the next few weekends we will have running hot water and radiators warming every room,no cold spots,no shivering,no running from the shower down the hallway to dry in front of the fire!...
Am i complaining? oh no! i have had the best time with Steve waking our beloved  Shingle Cottage  from her deep sleep.

A little pile of radiators is oh such a lovely sight.....



I Sanded all the new plaster walls in the bedroom until they were nice and smooth and then gave them their first coat of pink Sorbet paint and as most paints tend to do it went on a totally different colour to what was on the tin but knowing this from a life time and slight obsession with painting anything that doesn't move i carried on right around the room...


The little chimney breast i was going to paper but i can not find a paper i love and i don't want to buy paper just 'for now' so i  will paint it antique white for contrast and when that elusive paper catches my eye i shall buy a roll,hurry home and hang it!


See above the wet pink walls looks like the pink around the big fluffy dog below and not the oval of Sorbet pink,If this happens to you just carry on as paint always dries lighter and the first coat not having full coverage will change your paint colour as whatever  shade is underneath will show through here and there throwing off the true colour...Two coats and you should have your chosen colour!

Below you can see the bottom right is drying to a lovely pale pink....i gave the ceiling another coat of Antique White and there are the wardrobe doors to paint this weekend along with the skirting boards and architrave around the door,wall lights and a chandelier to hang,ticking jobs off the list week to week...
I hung crystals on the wall lights in the main room and i ordered a fridge and a freezer to be delivered on Monday.....As soon as the heating is on i am staying at Shingle Cottage for a week,just me and my pup and i will be painting all the new floor boards right through the cottage white and then i can order my cream retro cooker and start to bring more furniture and lamps and pictures and then it won't be long before our new life will begin...
So there you have it,a little round up of the goings on at the cottage..... 

I wanted to ask you if when reading Shingle Cottage,


Do you see this style writing below?

Or do you see this one below?
I would hope you see the second as that is what i see but while at a friends i was shocked to see the first style show on their screen,would you let me know in the comments section if you don't mind? thank you! x
Oh and has anyone grown Gypsophila otherwise known as baby's breath? it was among the roses Steve brought home and i love it and would like to grow some in our cottage garden....I have seen girls on blogs who have dried it to a lovely sepia tone which looks gorgeous and really old fashioned,so i would like to give it a go next Summer,any tips? 


I am going to finish my order of goodies on Lakeland i have Star Kay Rose Water in my basket for making Sophie Dahl's  Rhubarb And Rosewater Eaton Mess,I asked Sophie on twitter yesterday which rose water she used and she replied! really don't we live in a fabulous era where things like that are possible?  
Lakeland have a special offer at the moment which is worth checking out where you buy two bottles of Star Kay and you get one free,so i grabbed a white rose and a  gold star vanilla too! oh and plenty of other bits and bobs for my baking cupboard at Shingle Cottage.

Here is a little about Star Kay

Star Kay White, a New York family firm established in 1890, are renowned for the purity and intensity of their extracts and pride themselves on their unrivalled quality. Made with the finest ingredients to guarantee an authentic flavour, they’re versatile and highly concentrated – lasting a long time, just a little makes a big difference to baking and cooking. Their extracts are used by some of the biggest ice cream companies in the world, but cakes, pastries, drinks, marinades, even stir-fry and savoury dishes will be transformed.

Sound lovely don't they? well as soon as i'm at the cottage baking on my lovely cream retro cooker i shall tell you all about the taste of Star Kay's Rosewater and Sophie's Rhubarb And Rosewater Eaton Mess.

I have Sophie's book titled Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights and i picked mine up on Amazon but if you don't have the book here is a little snippet of the Rhubarb and Rosewater Eaton Mess and the fabulous Sophie....
I really loved this series did you? I loved the music,the poetry,Sophie and her accent and of course the recipes...


Ooooh this has turned into rather a long post has it not?

Join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage...

XxX

32 comments:

  1. I so look forward to your posts! Its so exciting to see how things are progressing at Shingle Cottage! Looks so fun, although I'm sure you are sooooooooooooo ready for it to be a home where you will STAY! On my computer, your blog shows up in script, beautiful and perfect. Blessings and Joys for the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      Steve said it will never be finished because i will always be changing it haha let's see if he's right ;)
      Thank you also for letting me know about the script xxx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking us on your journey. I see the lovely secound script

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining us and thank you for letting me know you see the pretty script x

      Delete
  3. OOh such exciting times in your little cottage!

    I see the second script ...

    Love your blog, and love to see what you are doing next.
    Sophie Dahl is one of my favourites, I have her books and also kept recordings of her tv programme. I love to watch these back to back on cold, wet, winter days. Think I'll have to check out Lakeland, there is a shop quite near to where I live, 5 mins from the Annie Sloan shop! Lovely day out.

    Have fun,

    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire :)
      Ah yes cold,wet Winter days and a glamouous cooking programme on the tv=bliss!
      A trip to Lakeland with Annie Sloan near by sounds fantastic!!! Happy shopping xxx

      Delete
  4. I see the second. Beautiful house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also see the pretty second script.

    I love watching everything progress and I love how you describe the temp and everything--makes me feel like I am there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy,
      So happy everyone is seeing the second script :) Soon it is all going to get a bit full on with furniture etc,i can not wait xxx

      Delete
  6. Hi,LOVED your post I soooo look forward to them, the pink paint is scrummy and can't wait to see it finished!I read the blog in the second curly wurly script, very pretty.Warm Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam,
      I can't wait to see it finished too :) hopefully it won't be long now,Thank you for telling me about the curly wurly script xxx

      Delete
  7. Ślicznie u ciebeie jak dużo juz zrobiliście w soim domu . ja widze tak jak na pierwszym zdjęciu ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję moim przyjacielem, to jest się tam dostać xxx

      Delete
  8. How strange---I see the first font! The script is so pretty, but not what I see!
    The cottage is coming along so beautifully, I am glad you will soon be warm and cozy. Although, if one is going to be cold, you surely have a lovely spot by the sea in which to shiver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange indeed Sandra..I don't understand it?
      Thank you! Steve always says 'Shiver me timbers' on a morning but not for much longer xx

      Delete
  9. Another lovely, inspiring post. Things are certainly coming together. I am about to embark on my third move in three years ... just wish it was into a home as beautiful as Shingle Cottage! I also see your posts in the pretty script.
    Happy homemaking,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane :)
      Wow that is a lot of moves!! I am sure you will make your new home beautiful,thank you for letting me know which script you see xxx

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    This is the first time I have posted on your blog... although I have been reading every little bit of it!!! I just love your cottage, this would be my dream cottage... both you and your husband are doing a wonderful job!! I wish you the best of luck when you finally get to move in... I am sure you cannot wait!! I just wanted to let you know as well that I see the second font that you asked about for your blog heading.. Have a great weekend...stay warm.

    Lorene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorene,so nice of you to leave such a lovely comment :)
      I feel like sometimes like it's a dream and we will never get there,i love the cottage and two years has been a long time but nearly there!
      Thank you also for letting me no about the script xxx

      Delete
  11. Hello,
    I see the second as well... this is the first time I have commented on your blog although, I follow every post! I just love your wonderful cottage. Both you and your husband are doing a wonderful job!! I bet you cannot wait until you can move in and play every day!!! Have a wonderful weekend... try and stay warm.

    Lorene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my your in the last turn, what fun so cosy, and lovely rads to keep warm! And I do so love the smell of burning coal fires, wood as well. We have wild Swans that fly down from the Arctic Circle to our Skagit Vally and yesterday a flock flew over honking away, lovely sound! Love love the soft pink walls, so fresh. Can't wait til the finished cottage, or well it's a never ending set of projects isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary i love swans! that sounds amazing! we pass a lake on the way home that has swans on the water,they are just beautiful.
      Haha yes a never ending story :) xxx

      Delete
  13. Your cottage is looking so so pretty! Really beautiful I'm sure you are so proud! Can't wait to see it all finished. Have a lovely weekend! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon,It sure is starting to get somewhere isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  14. As always, delighting in every second of the transformation of Shingle Cottage. When i look at your blog posts, i see the first font, and i agree the second font is prettier. That's happened with my blog too, two different fonts, and will be curious to know what you find out!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy,
      I just discovered something that may now let you see the second script?,i need to blog post about it x

      Delete
  15. I think i maybe know what's going on with the script. When i look at your blog with the browser Mozilla Firefox it is the first script. When i use the browser Google Chrome, it is the pretty cursive script.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for that Cindy,That is interesting! x

      Delete
  16. Oh yum on the rhubarb. I have some in the freezer. I do love the sauce on toast. And I see the second image on my little MacBook. The cottage is coming along so nicely and you write about it in such a loving and romantic way. You will be living your dream and that's the best life has to give to be able to set your sights for your life and go for it. I'd like to read some time what else in your life will change for you. Your job, Steve's job, other hobbies, and interests. It is a big change moving as far away as you are you must be uprooting your entire life. Can't wait to see the finished cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      Ooooh i have never tried it on toast,it sounds lovely! Thank you for letting me know which script you see x
      Yes i will be writing about everything that will be changing in our lives,i want my blog to become a diary of the cottage,the move,our new life,jobs,hobbies etc i think it will be great to look back on x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x