Monday, 31 December 2012

A year at Shingle Cottage 2012!

Life's A Beach?

It certainly was for us in 2012 we spent most weekends there building our dream cottage by the sea....You remember that little place called Shingle Cottage? Sure you do,i know a lot of you have said you love sharing the cottage with us and a few said they can't wait to move in!

Well my fiends you are not the only ones ;)

The view below from the end of the Avenue is something we always looked forward to when arriving on a weekend in 2012 and we would sit here in between jobs and chat and plan our next step and sometimes it was with a brandy or two!

 Did i forget to tell you that? ;)

Steve cut all his own palings and made us a real cottage picket fence and gate and i followed him with lashings of white paint and lavender bushes...



 I worked on the cottage garden on an evening after our jobs were done inside,planting delphiniums,jasmine,rosemary,cone flowers,hydrangea and roses...


We had guests come to stay as the weather warmed up,we were busy building and decorating so i was happy to see they could make their own bed... 


Later the flowers sprang as if from no where and we had a first show of what was to come in the cottage garden...We are going to plant masses of Delphiniums this Year...


The baby pink hydrangea was such a show off as her blooms just seemed to get bigger and bigger as the weeks passed...


The guests had a baby during their stay...What a sweet heart!!!!


I watched people come and go on the beach below and dreamed of that being me in 2013....Endless days at the beach and then a hop skip and jump  back home  to Shingle Cottage....Sigh.... 


Inside we rebuilt the hallway with timber paneling and transformed it with gallons of antique white paint and new floorboards were laid throughout Shingle Cottage...

A  mirror i painted in shades of shell pink and coral took pride of place at the end of the all white hallway and a table i painted in old white was placed underneath and chandeliers were hung.....


We paneled the new bathroom too and used a table we had to house a sink.....
Steve put in a new toilet and built and tiled a shower and we had some where lovely and clean to get washed and brush our teeth,that made a real difference ....


 Built a pretty kitchen in pink and cream.....


I papered inside the original kitchen cupboard doors with a vintage Sanderson wallpaper called 'English Garden'


Steve dry lined and plastered all the walls and built a huge wardrobe in our dreamy romantic pink bedroom and i painted all the internal original doors that had been dipped and stripped...


Steve added a chimney breast and opaline pink glass wall lights in the bedroom and i started to white wash the floors....


We had a few days out at our old haunts....


For tea and cake and a much needed break....


I did a lot of makeovers too this Year!

I made over lamp shades...


And old oil paintings using Annie Sloan (TM) chalk paint...


And with Annie Sloan (TM) craqueleur and dark wax i aged Christie Repasy's beautiful farm house labels...


I made over a jam jar with a vintage lace dolie and some pretty bits and bobs...

Steve cut out some patresses for our wall lights and i painted them,i don't think there is much i didn't paint this year,if it didn't move i picked up my paint brush ;)


I painted a huge chandelier in Annie Sloan (TM) chalk paint and added lavender blue shades as our room started to come together with the paneled walls you can see in the mirror..


 Steve's davenport received a coat of dove grey.....to be continued!


I painted my butchers block in Antibes green,it would seem nothing was safe?
 I hung cupboards and wall racks around the kitchen this Year too and started to take china and small pieces of furniture which made everything feel more homely as i  day dreamed of life by the sea...


A pretty table found in two pieces was glued back together and painted in two shades of blue and old white for a French beachy look...

The bottom half of my old dressing table had a coat of Versailles and a wash of old white on top,Wait until you see my new dressing table that was heading for the dump on a trailer when thank the lord my friend grabbed it and declared 'i know just the girl' It has triple mirrors and queen Anne legs...swoon!

Do you see the hydrangea showing off in the background? Told you!


I painted a pair of oak cabinets and made them all French and pretty for a client...This was something i really loved and will be doing a lot more of in 2013..


I painted pink chandeliers for our kitchen and everyone loved them!


Kitchen Shelves were painted in pink and white stripes...


Even my old cast iron kettle blushed in shades of pink!!!


Later in the Year we had another friend come to live with us but this one had fur instead of feathers....All are welcome at Shingle Cottage!


My dream of white floors and new windows came true!

Steve installed central heating and we had hot water and warm rooms.......Oh my how much work have we done this Year? So worth it!


It was a very busy Year at Shingle Cottage  with a lot of hard work but finally she has become a home.....





So January 2013 will see us move in to Shingle Cottage  and i will spend my days by the sea,day dreaming and walking the beach in flowing white dresses with a Summer hat..

Ok i might need to earn a living and cook and clean  haha but i still intend to have the beach life i have dreamed of for so long and i have packed the dress and hat!.


I raise a glass to you my dear readers and friends and wish you all the love and happiness in the world for 2013, I thank you for following us on our journey and for your words of encouragement and kind comments 
,Lots of love to you!

May happy memories of the past
Thy backward path endear
And thine be peace and happiness
Through the next golden Year.

Join me next Year for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage...

XxX

37 comments:

  1. I've followed your journey and it's so exciting tat you're finally moving in! Love all the makeovers and looking forward to seeing the pictures once you've moved in. Happy New Year,

    Lve Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Claire! Thank you,see you in 2013 xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy, happy New Year! I found your blog this past year and have LOVED every minute I have spent pouring over it! Everything is just so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you! Thank you,there is so much more to show you in 2013 x

      Delete
  3. You have made a beautiful home and thank you for sharing it with us. I hope 2013 is everything you have dreamed it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happy New Year to you xx

      Delete
  4. Oh I sure will join you next year~we both accomplished mountains this year I'd say!! what will happen next year? and the year after...but best to live in the moment as that is the most satisfying of all! However I did imagine myself in my white dress and one of my many straw hats walking the shingle beach with you....and then a brandy at dusk? Divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Amy,we really did! it is so fun to think of what may be in the future,i would say with us it will most likely involve paint!! I hope we get to drink a brandy one day,Happy New Year x

      Delete
  5. I have loved every minute of this journey, and I am so excited that "we" are finally moving in! What a lovely, lovely home by the sea, complete with guests. You have accomplished so much, and I can't wait to see what happens in the New Year. I wish you all joy in 2013, and the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sandra can you believe it? I hope your all packed and ready ;) Happy New Year to you! Wishing you all good things for 2013 xx

      Delete
  6. I am just in love with your lovely house, so magical! :) Wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy New Year my dear!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones too Katherine and thank you! xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh, it has been a good year for the little cottage hasn't it? I have enjoyed all you have shared with us this year!

    Happy New Year,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy Jo,Happy New Year to you and your loved ones xx

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful place you've created over this past year. It was fun to see all the after pictures together. Blessings to you and Happy new Year. Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia! it was fun for us to look back too,Happy New Year to you xxx

      Delete
  9. Dearest K, I've followed your journey from the beginning, what a beautiful post - a trip down memory lane reminding us all of the love and effort you and Steve have put into this labour of love! Well worth it. I am wishing you days of sunshine as you gaze out across the sea with the sea breeze gently blowing in your hair! Wonderful wishes from me to you for 2013! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw Sharon thank you so much,i am so lucky to have had you on our journey with us, i am going to look forward to your wishes coming true they sound so wonderful,
      Wishing you a wonderful New Year and much happiness for 2013 xxx

      Delete
  10. Oh WOW, WOW, WOW! It is all so gorgeous. I have loved this journey back to see again all your hard work you have done and how beautiful it all is. I absolutely love everything you have altered and painted and planted etc but if I had to single out one thing (hard to do) I would pick the table you put together again and painted different colours. Wishing you many, many years of happiness in this beautiful home. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thank you so much Ruth! Happy New Year to you xxx

      Delete
  11. Indeed it has been a busy year as you and Steve worked so diligently on Shingle Cottage. We have watched and wondered what surprise would come next. From week to week we have marveled at your creative talent, a bit envious, wishing we could be as brilliant. Soon your dream will be a reality. All of your hard work will have paid off and you two will happy and content living your dream. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you Ann and thank you,i really can not wait xxx

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous pictures of your home and particularly the visitors on the roof! I hope 2013 is a happy one for you in Shingle Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Jay!
      The visitors are lovely and fun to watch! i am looking so forward to them coming back this Year x

      Delete
  13. Happy New Year!Cannot wait to see you moved into your exquisite cottage.Was the Hydranga planted from a small shrub?Kind Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Pam x
      The hydrangea was already there when we arrived but it was small and very poor,we have fed it with cold tea leaves and it turned into the picture you see,i am not really sure how it works but it makes them flower like crazy x

      Delete
  14. You have worked so hard ! You home is my dream by the sea too.

    Love, love, love it !

    I look forward to lots more chats about our love of shabby chic.

    Happy New Year to You and Steve. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen xxx
      Happy New Year to you and your boys and yes lots of chatting to do in 2013 xxx

      Delete
  15. Hello, Dear! So, so beautiful, all of it! (Especially love the blue/green/white "beachy" table!)I've come to your blog from the blog of one of my sweet commenters ~ you know how that goes ~ :) ~ Now following you!
    So nice to "meet" you!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne,
      Thank you,Oh yes i know how that goes,so nice to meet new friends and to have new blogs to read x

      Delete
  16. What a truly lovely world you created for yourself. Peaceful and breathtaking!

    Have a winter wonderland weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura :)
      It looks like Narnia today,so cold but oh so pretty x

      Delete
  17. Very MANY congratulations...you deserve a beach life after working so very hard.
    I hope you will soon be able to enjoy a rest and settle down into your beautiful new home.
    I am thrilled for you K!
    Love Niki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Niki!
      I have my Nostalgia Calender ready to go over this weekend ;) xxx

      Delete
  18. Wow! Incredible. Would you believe the wallpaper you have lined your wardrobes is currently on our second bedroom wall? It has been there now for 20 years and is now about to be replaced! Amazingly good choice I would say. I LOVE to see home improvements - encourages me to get on with our redecorating projects. 3 bedrooms to re-decorate and a new bathroom to be fitted! Are you near the Dales? We are just outside Whitby on the North York Moors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x