Saturday, 22 December 2012

It Won't Be Long Now

 Christmas is nearly upon us and although there is nothing Christmassy going on at our house i thought i would stop by and give you a little catch up on the goings on from Shingle Cottage...

Are you already for the big day? presents wrapped? fridge and cupboard bursting at the seams?
Oh how i wish i was........


It has been really odd watching Christmas from the sidelines and i have not really liked it if i'm honest,I love Christmas and i have felt a little sad,a little melancholy,like i'm missing out..

 (i don't think decorating,packing and moving help)

Anyway i told Steve through teary eyes the other night and you know what he said ?

'Krissie why don't you just plan our Christmas Dinner for sometime at the end of January and we'll have our own little Christmas together by the sea in our new home?'  

Really??.....ok :)

 It made me think,i may not have a Christmas tree shining with piles of gifts wrapped underneath it or parties to get dressed up for this year but wow i sure have a great guy for Christmas x


So lots going on at Shingle Cottage busy,busy getting everything ready for the big move....

The Shingle Bunny was hopping about in the garden last weekend which was a beautiful sight...I love animals,birds and nature don't you?

I knit him a fluffy aqua scarf for Christmas.....ok i lied i added it on picmonkey but it looks cute doesn't it?


I spent last weekend painting all the knots on the room floor with sealer which took forever! but never mind only another six rooms to go!

You can see the floor below in all its patchy glory, you don't usually see this view as there has been so much stuff piled in this corner but it all had to be cleared to paint the floor so i thought you might like to see what it will look like from where my comfy two seater will be....


That's where it will be under the mirror below...Cozy corner... 


The floors are going to be white all through the cottage and they will get lots of wear and tear as we will always be in and out gardening or popping for a walk on the beach,think sandy feet and grass cuttings,compost and we have Beatrix our pup too!

So here is what i'm using....The lovely Karen from The White Approach  told me about Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint as she has used it in her home........Its tough and slip resistant and resists scuffs,knocks and scratches....Sounds perfect!



Inside the tub is a paint pad and there is a telescopic handle that you screw together and then easy peasy you dip the pad in the paint and pull the pad towards you as you work up and down the floor.....It was like moping and it didn't take long at all...touch dry in two hours and overcoatable in four to six!


Below is after two coats and this is the opposite corner to where my two seater will be and you can see  the garden room window which is where we will have our dining table...


Below is after three coats and it has a lovely sheen that is like eggshell,its very beautiful,thank you Karen x

The skirting board is to be fitted next week... 


We left it to dry last weekend and will see if we are to do four coats next weekend....


In the bedroom  Steve was busy in the wardrobe that he built...It was time to line it all out,you can see he had half of it done here...there are some pipes from our bathroom sink that Steve is building a box around incase we need to get to them....We are having everything accessible it makes life easier should anything go wrong.

On either side of the doors inside we are having shelves ceiling to floor for handbags and folded sweaters etc..


The wardrobe is about eight feet tall inside so lots of storage...Here Steve was making the two by one supports for the shelves to sit on..


Five nice wide shelves on either side and there will be two rails in the middle for hanging and new floorboards too...i am going to wallpaper inside the wardrobe next time we are over...


I had a few boxes of china with me last weekend and the three jugs below i had bought the first year we had  Shingle Cottage, It was my birthday and we were in Pickering with my Mum and they have been wrappe up ever since so it was lovely to put them out on display...


I popped them on the little pink and white shelf i had painted with a rosey tea pot and two rose swagged cream jugs...


I also brought two heavy pot rose jugs that have been wrapped away too...


Mum tells me there would have been three originally so i will keep my eyes open for the small one when i am out and about...


Grainy picture but just to show you we put a plate rack up in the kitchen last weekend too...



So there you have it...Piles of furniture wait to be put in their place and floors wait to be painted white....


But this weekend we are resting,we have had that bug that is doing its rounds...We are supposed to be clearing and packing,maybe tommorow....

As i write this ending Steve is asleep on the sofa with Beatrix our pup,the heating is on and lamps are lit....i have a blanket pulled up around me and i'm thinking of what to cook for dinner?

Well girls it won't be long now until i am doing that from the comfort of my two seater at Shingle Cottage!

Thanks for stopping by! i have another post to write before Christmas day so i will do my wishing to you and yours then....

Wishing you a beautiful Christmas weekend where ever you are and what ever you are up to...

XxX 

26 comments:

  1. It is coming along beautifully! I love the floors. I can't wait to see if they hold up well. My Mother tried painting her floors and they have chipped quite a bit. But she didn't use that type of paint.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy Jo :) Fingers crossed it will hold up,i will let you know how it gets on.
      Merry Christmas!!! xxx

      Delete
  2. Your floors look amazing! Oh how I would love to rip out all of our carpet and paint our floors but I don't think my husband would be keen on that idea.Oh well maybe in our next house!Everything looks so pretty! Thank you for sharing!
    Merry Christmas!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne :) i am really happy with how it all looking.
      Merry Christmas!!! xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh my, love your white floors. Wish I had.

    Hope you get a great christmas even you are working in your new house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw thank you Bente :)
      Merry Christmas to you too xxx

      Delete
  4. It is all so beautiful! I rarely envy anyone for anything, but I have to admit, I so long for your cottage by the sea!! Not YOUR cottage, of course, I would never wish I had it instead of you---I just wish I had one exactly like yours!
    I definitely do not want a husband, been there, done that. But you are extremely blessed to have such a sweet one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra :)
      Thank you! i know just what you mean I feel i have waited my whole life for this cottage ,its where i belong,i have dreamed of living by the sea for so many years and you can share it with me.
      Yes he really is a sweet,lovely guy,i am very lucky xxx

      Delete
  5. The floors are like the frosting on the top except on the bottom!!! So lovely, dreamie!!!or is it dreamy? Have a wonderful Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to finish the rest Mary,the amount of light that bounces up from them is amazing....I think between us it can be either ;)
      Merry Christmas! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh I love the white floors! Someday I want to have wood floors too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy,i will keep my fingers crossed for you x

      Delete
  7. I literally spent most of the day wrapping gifts and now before bedtime I am reading my blogs. The cottage is coming along nicely. Just think of the Christmas celebration that you will have next year. The floors will be gorgeous. I am partial to natural woods, but the painted floors for you are perfect. I am amazed at how patient you are, taking your time, step by step and savoring every moment of the renovations. Your little bunny does look Peter Rabbit-ish. We have the little cotton tails here, but I think they are very much part of the food chain since we have hawks and fox. Keep your little guy safe. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Keep the spirit of the season in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the end of the day and a little blog reading before bed.
      Thank you i really love the white floors they make everything look so fresh and bright and yes role on next Christmas!
      The little bunny is a sweet heart,We do have foxes and in the Summer there was a huge bird circling way up above the cottage and a pair of seagulls flew up to chase it off and they were half the size of what ever was up there,in fact it has amazed me how much wildlife there is at the cottage.
      Merry Christmas Ann and A Happy New Year to you and your loved ones xxx

      Delete
  8. The floors are incredible! YOu and Steve should be so proud of yourselves...don't be feeling all left out of the Christmas spirit...it lives inside you. But I will say on sparkly lit tiny tree would make it feel more so...until then just look back on all you have achieved as New Years is coming and that is when most make up their tallies of goal accomplished and goals to be set. I thought the picmonkey scarf was soooo cute! Only you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! i really am loving them all white....I will flick through your blog if i need a pretty Christmas fix ;)....So strange you should mention goals as i we sat this morning deciding which part of the outside we would tackle come spring.
      Steve said tell Amy that he knit the scarf for the bunny haha xxx

      Delete
  9. oh wow! love how your floors have turned out. I am sure you will be thrilled with the wear and tear. Ours are still holding up well except for a few scuffs where the table gets moved (but them we do have three lively boys ).

    As Amy says Christmas is inside of you and just imagine how wonderful it will be at the end of January when your cottage is all finished !!

    Happy Christmas lovely lady xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and all thanks to you Karen ;) i love the sheen so much! thanks so much for telling me about it x
      Aaaaw i know i can not wait to have Christmas dinner in our new home,

      Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones xxx

      Delete
  10. Coraz ładniej u ciebie ...

    Zdrowych i Wesołych Świąt ..
    Dużo miłych chwil spędzonych z najbliższymi ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wesołych Świąt dla Ciebie i Ciebie też mój przyjaciel xxx

      Delete
  11. It's all looking really lovely and never mind that you won't have Christmas like you usually do. You'll be spending it with important people and that's what counts...imagine next Christmas and how it will all look. Wishing you and your family a wonderful, peaceful, joyful Christmas whatever you will be doing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Sharon,Thank you x
      Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones,Have a wonderful time xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm so excited for you! You're getting so close! The white floors look wonderful, love the soft sheen on them. ... and that closet is going to be amazing! It will be so pretty wallpapered.
    You can have your Christmas later, this is waaay more exciting, although i know it is alot of work for you guys.
    When i saw the photo of your past Christmas tree on your header, i was so surprised, because it is my favorite all time Christmas tree photo, and it turned out to be yours!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Cindy :)
    Oh wow that is a huge compliment about my Christmas tree!...I'm so glad you agree about wall papering as i thought it would look lovely too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,happy Boxing Day!Just browsed your lovely pictures,I adore rosy posy things and my heart leaped with joy at all your beautiful china!Cannot wait to see all your things in situ!Kind Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Boxing Day Pam :)
      So glad you like rosy china,i love it!
      xxx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x