Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Nine Shades,Dove Grey & White Panels

Dove Grey?

I have a love hate relationship with grey....If the tone is too dark and cool i have images of  concrete and cement in my head,i love pastel pinks and aqua sea foam blues but i do want grey in my palette so with this in mind  i played around at the weekend and mixed my own shade of pale grey using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (TM)  in Paris Grey and Old White until i came up with a pale Dove Grey that i want to have more of in Shingle Cottage...

This pale shade of grey looks beautiful with pale pinks,think roses and vintage silver as shown in the picture below by  Maison Decor which at time of going to press is available here  Silverplate Water Pitcher 
but it can look just as beautiful with Gold.


Once i had my Dove Grey i sat Steve's davenport desk on four tins of Annie Sloan Wax (TM) so i could paint the turnip feet at the same time and here below is my Dove Grey,pretty and pale...


The desk before in ORANGE!.... I love the desk but i have never liked the colour so this was a great day for me with brush in hand. 


So exciting when you start to paint a piece and you have it all planned and a picture of how it will look in your head,well at least i do and then brush stroke after brush stroke it starts to transform..
  
Here i go!

Santa if your reading this can i have an Annie Sloan paint brush (TM) for Christmas please?


The desk has eight drawers at the back,four down either side and i painted these in Old White...

  The pine knobs were removed and will be replaced with cut glass for a more romantic and feminine look.


There are eight tiny curved drawers inside too.....Who can guess what colour the inside will be?

I used one as a prop while it dried to stop the lid sticking!


I painted the desk last Sunday lunch time just before we left  Shingle Cottage so this is how she sits waiting for  this Friday when i am back home with cut glass knobs in my bag and the work shall continue.

Notice how all the detail is now revealed on the legs now they are painted.
  

Nine Shades? 

well i thought my huge chandelier needed a little softening and i had nine pale Lilac/Lavender blue candle shades from Laura Ashley..


It was time for a curtain rod to go up over the bow window too and the shape i liked came in a butter milk cream which didn't go with anything in the room. 

I soon fixed that with the fabulous very versatile Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (TM) in my Dove Grey.


I hung four cotton panels with broderie anglais and ruffled ribbons along the bottom....

We hung the curtain rod flat on the wall in the room so the panels hang in the middle of the space between the bow window and the room,this allows the light to shine through the whole panel top to bottom,if we had hung them against the window the pattern would have dulled in the shade against the wall.

Floorboards  waiting to be painted white...



Dove Grey curtain rod and rings,Yes i painted the rings too! with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (TM) you can break the rules and do all the things you always wanted to.


I need to get two more panels so i can gather the ones i have hung a little more,but for now you can see what i am aiming for and it will be so much nicer when the scaffolding isn't shadowing right across the window.


The new floorboards went down in the washroom over the weekend and the bedroom floor had two more coats of white paint but i won't bore you with pictures.

I know many of you are dreaming of a White Christmas but i am dreaming of white painted floors ;)

We sat and talked about Christmas the other day and decided we can not pull Christmas off this year.

We move in three weeks and have too much to do both physically and financially,It has been a long two years.

Our Christmas tree last Year

Next Year i will trim Shingle Cottage in Winter white and sparkles...I have it as always all planned in my head and i think i'm going to love it!

Some times you just have to say 'I can't do it all' and you know when you do the pressure is off!! and you will sigh and feel so much better.

I LOVE Christmas so this won't be easy for me but don't worry you will probably catch me in a prom gown with a pink Santa hat come Christmas Day dancing to all the old crooners in the kitchen with Steve while making hundreds of those little sausages wrapped in bacon,my boy loves them!

Right i am going to pack some more,Thank you for stopping by and just think three weeks and at last we will be living in Shingle Cottage...Then the fun will really begin!

I have so much planned for this next Year and i can't wait to share it with you!

Join me next time for more tales and goings from Shingle Cottage...

XxX

23 comments:

  1. Oh well you might have company in the non-Christmas this year category...at least it will be very slight compared to years past...but I agree its ok if its too much sometimes. I love the curtain panels and the rod and rings!~its all coming along nicely. And the grey on the desk brings out the nice shape of it~i think you are putting pink inside...I know it is NOT Barcelona orange!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many people are feeling and doing the same...Haha i am laughing at NOT Barcelona orange!! too funny! i knew you would know it would be pink ;) Thank you Amy xxx

      Delete
  2. I am so with you on the grays. I see gray in other houses and i love it, but then when i start to paint it on a wall, it looks too cold and hard to me, and i always wimp out. Looks like the color you mixed for the little table is wonderful, really soft and not cold looking at all. It has great curves too, and i love the little drawers inside. And, yes, i can guess what color the inside will be! The curtains are so light and airy and i love the detail at the bottom. It is incredible to think you are moving in in 2 weeks. Soooo exciting!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that a few times too Cindy,i think this could be the grey for me,i hoped you guessed pink lol ;) xxx

      Delete
  3. Hi,I just love your Christmas tree from last year,it's so different from all the usual ones,have you had any artistic training?The Dove Grey is very pretty on the desk.Love it all!!Kind Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      Thank you!! no artistic training here,just a love of pretty and always doing things creative and they way i imagine them to be,next year i'm going to do a tutorial on how to achieve that Christmas tree as a lot of girls did ask me what i had used.
      xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh my! What an adventure this has been for you all! And we are all so lucky to be able to be there as well, even if it's been clear around the globe! I'm still in the process of whitetifying-hmmm is that a word-all the walls, ikea couches, drop cloth curtains and painting furniture too. My sweet husband said that he wouldn't be surprised to come home and find the pooches painted white-old white of course. Hey Christmas is a time of reflection, and with out adding more stress you may find something special come your way! Merry Happy Christmas, and one can not have too much glitter either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      Haha your husband sounds like my Steve! he used to say he thought he had come home to the wrong house because i would change everything while he was at work,my dog came in white so she is safe ;) i am in the process of slip covering our sofas too and a friend told me about drop cloths,yes whitetifying is a good word i love it!! i think glitter is a must we all deserve a little sparkle!
      Wishing you a Merry Christmas too! xxx

      Delete
  5. I am not a huge fan of grey but love the pale shade you created. Those roses are so pretty! Your Christmas tree last year is just gorgeous! Happy moving--enjoy the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so the same Sandy with grey but i think if its pale i will love it and if not out with the white paint :) Your Christmas tree is dreamy!
      Thank you and Happy Holidays to you too xxx

      Delete
  6. So beautiful, as is everything you do! I love the tree. Goodness, I don't know how you even have time to realize it is Christmastime, with all you have going on. I have so enjoyed this journey with you,and I can't wait until "we" move into that precious cottage by the sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra :)
      Yes i love that you will be moving with us,i will take loads of pictures! We are taking our bed tommorow which will be heaven as we have been sleeping on an inflatable every weekend for two years!!!! I have too much furniture Sandra something is going to have to give xxx

      Delete
  7. Everything is looking so light and serene with a lovely touch of romance! I love your drapes with the lace trim, just my cup of tea ;). XO Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christie :) you can stop in for tea when ever you like xxx

      Delete
  8. Just think how perfect your Christmas will be next year...You deserve a break after the huge amount of work you have both undertaken...a break without the pressure of trying to create the Christmas I know you dream of...You are right to give yourself the time to finish the cottage first and move in, be happy and look to the future where a white Christmas is guaranteed at Shingle Cottage next year.

    Take care of yourself,
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes i hope so Niki :) Thank you! i have my beautiful lace baubles that you kindly made and sent me packed and ready to go for next Years trimming of Shingle Cottage and we all know it will be here before we know it ;).
      XxX

      Delete
  9. It's all looking so beautiful, it's a lot of work though and I can thoroughly appreciate the long hours and dedication you've both given to this remarkable project. I love how the little desk looks after a few coats of AS..it is truely magic paint! I love it too! I've had computer trouble of the worst kind for a few weeks and so now I'm catching up with some much loved reading at your blog! I've recently swopped blogs as you can see on my new blog (formerly Bluebells and Lavender Interiors blog!) hope you can join me there...best wishes for a lovely week ahead and good luck with the packing and the moving..xx such exciting times....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      Thank you! i was painting floors white this weekend so i didn't get a chance to finish the desk,Yes the paint is magic indeed!
      Oh thanks for letting me know i will pop over and follow you now xxx

      Delete
    2. Sharon i can not find your new blog :( could you please send me a link? x

      Delete
  10. I'm in love with that little desk, the grey is just perfect. I can't wait to see it finished with the glass knobs. I hope your move goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jay :)
      I will be finding some time really soon to finish the little desk x

      Delete
  11. Beautiful piece of furniture. Love your curtains and your tree. So festive.

    Merry Christmas.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy! Merry Christmas to you too xxx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x