Sunday, 10 February 2013

Rosey

I pray daily  so when i saw a wrought iron cross while out shopping a while ago it quickly found it's way into our shopping basket and arrived home with us.

After a little work it now  looks like this..


I Mixed Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (tm) Old White & Antibes Green for the cross and Duck Egg Blue & Old White for the base.
I had a Capidomonte candlestick that i picked up in a charity shop for a few pounds and i took to it with a pair of pliers,I wore gloves and safety goggles as it can splinter,I placed the pliers at the base of each flower and twisted to the side breaking it clean off.


Here they are free and ready to be glued to the cross. 


The roses were originally shades of orange and yellow...


So i repainted them with layers of pink Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (tm) in Old White with a little Emperors silk & Primer Red.


Once dry i stuck them to the cross with Stixall which Steve uses a lot at work,It worked brilliantly,I left it overnight to dry and the Stixall painted over on the back of the cross very easily to blend together.
What do you think to how it turned out? I love it...



Back at Shingle Cottage the plate rack in the kitchen had some more china piled upon it, Unfortunately my glass bon bon jar on the top shelf wouldn't fit with it's lid so i will have to find a new home for it once we are moved in,Maybe in the bathroom filled with soaps?
I plan to add hooks to each shelf on the plate rack and hang rows of pretty tea cups all along,There is also a ledge on each shelf to stand plates up against the wall so i will be adding rows of them too,I want the whole thing piled up!

A string of pretty fairy lights and some mini bunting wouldn't go a miss either :) 

I brought a little picture you can see on the middle shelf with me too that's from the 1930's and it's painted on silk,I think we need a closer look.... 


Ah that's better.......I love the tree,stone house and the pink sky and of course the Swallows they are one of my favourite birds,So graceful and beautiful to watch on a Summer's day.


I want my kitchen a bit more floral too and have my eye on this Cath Kidston Antique Rose Wallpaper below,I have spied it in many an English home here in Blogland and from bedroom to hallway to kitchen it always looks cozy and cottage looking.


The wall at one end of the kitchen is a little plain we find and after bringing this wall shelf i had made over,which we are going to hang next weekend,i had a light bulb moment!
The wallpaper i used inside is vintage from the 1940/50's and it reminds me of the Cath Kidston wallpaper and wouldn't that wall look a lot more exciting and cottage cozy with roses Growing all over the wall? 


Ooooh so many decisions to make and do you know i  just love it!
There is nothing i enjoy more than decorating this little cottage of ours,You can keep your diamonds and luxury cruises,Give me a whisk and play some golden oldies and i'm at my happiest.
We sat snuggled this afternoon choosing a cooker online so it won't be too long until i'm baking away....It's freezing here tonight and snow is forecast later,Steve is hoping it's a nice covering so we can have a sleep in,Fingers crossed because i am too.

Right i best go get the chicken out of the oven,We are having a late dinner here tonight and i am starving! Sunday roast is so comforting to me and it smells like home.

I hope you have stayed cozy and warm girls and that your weekend has been beautiful what ever you have been up to.

Join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage...
XxX

24 comments:

  1. You are so resourceful - the cross is beautiful. I really enjoy my visits to your cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sonice to have you visit xxx

      Delete
  2. I love how your cross turned out.. so very pretty! I think floral wallpaper on the wall is a great idea!! I say that because I have been thinking of doing the same thing for a few weeks now but haven't as I'm afraid I won't like it once it's up. I'm thinking of doing one wall in my dining room which is exactly opposite my kitchen. I just love the idea of something different .. especially for me as I would never have thought of using wallpaper until I saw it used in a lady's clothes shop that was given a vintage vibe.. and it looked fantastic! I think if I could find the right wallpaper that called out to me .. I would do it.. after all it's only one wall. I say go for it.. it will look awesome in your home.. take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maryann :)
      I am so glad you agree and vote for wallpaper! I hope you find that paper and then you can do yours too!
      xxx

      Delete
  3. THAT is so pretty!!!! LOVE what you did with the cross and like you, I am happiest tinkring away on my nest! :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine! Nesting is the best xxx

      Delete
  4. Your cross is amazingly beautiful and I love the wallpaper. I hope you can find a deal. I've been pricing wallpaper lately and it's crazy here in Canada. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julie,It's twenty five pounds a roll but i will only need one for that wall,Dread to think what it would cost for a large room xxx

      Delete
  5. So wonderful when I open my emails and see a post from Shingle Cottage! I get so excited to see what you've been up to lately. Your cross is so very pretty and I can just imagine the beautiful rose print wallpaper in your kitchen. You have a wonderful husband to agree to all of the pink and roses loveliness in your home! Most men would have a "hissy fit" (as we say here in the South) over such decor. Lucky you ... lucky him!
    Keep warm ... Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw Thank you Diane that is so lovely! Steve is great isn't he? I can have pink and rosey as i like and he loves it,I am lucky i know!He really loves the cross too,
      We just woke up and there is snow everywhere it's so pretty!
      xxx

      Delete
  6. I am still amazed at how you are able take a light, a shade, a table, a whatever and turn it into a beautiful piece, special, beautiful and unique. I love reading how you do your magical transformations. I think you should write a book on your dear cottage. You have a book nearly written here on the blog. You have told a wonderful story of how you and Steve have dreamed and then followed your dream, nail by nail, board by board, dream by dream. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann :)
      I love sharing my makeovers so glad you enjoy them,A book would be fun to write when everything is done and there is so much more to do! I'm not complaining honest but you will see when we get started outside this year and then there's the garden and my attic workroom,Like you say nail by nail,board by board,dream by dream i love that Ann xxx

      Delete
  7. So happy to see you re-creating! Brrr! it must be chilly out but you are so cosy and warm like two little bunnies. Wallpaper is way cool, and have seen people take not so pretty wallpaper and do a whitewash over it to soften and distress if the pattern is too bold. I bought a baby grand that is in dire need of restoration, but fortunately the bones and innards are all in fine shape. So here's the deal-Annie Sloan of course but what colors. Thinking Old White, Paris Grey, and touches of gold to prettify it, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary :)
      Oh that is such a good idea to do to soften the wallpaper down,I think i would like it bright and perky in the kitchen,Jolly looking.
      How wonderful to have a baby grand! I love your vision it sounds perfect!Paris Grey and Old White look so fabulous with gold too,It's going to look amazing! xxx

      Delete
  8. I love what you did to your cross. The flowers make it so pretty. It looks like you are having so much fun renovating your cottage. The shelf is so cute with the rose cutouts. I have a small shelf on one of my walls too, I have added hooks so I can display a small amount of vintage china. I have always wanted a floral wall but have not found the perfect wallpaper yet! Looking forward to following your journey with your cottage.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosezeeta,
      Thank you i love wall shelves with hooks it has a real cottage look about it doesn't it.
      I wish they would bring back some of the really old beautiful floral wallpapers it is hard to find a really nice one xx

      Delete
  9. Will your "cooker" (stove, to us in the US) be an Aga? My friend in Bisley has a wonderful, huge Aga in her kitchen, and I love it! They are terribly dear in the States - nearing the $10,000 mark - and I doubt I could learn to bake in one in any case. Sally does a masterful job and it is so impressive that she can do that without a thermostat and a timer! Love hearing about Shingle Cottage...hope you get your snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our kitchen is way too tiny for an Aga,My God Mother has one and they are fabulous but we will be having a gas cooker which i can not wait for because were we are now is all electric.
      We did get the snow and it here again today xxx

      Delete
  10. jak ładnie u ciebie , krzyż śliczny ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,I just adore the pretty cross the green colour is FAB!and I love the pretty pink roses.I have the Cath kidston Antique Rose wallpaper in my bathroom,it's GORGEOUS!I'm sooo looking forward to the next installment of shingle cottage and I agree a book would be great!!Kind regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      Thank you! I love that wallpaper and i am so glad you said it's GORGEOUS! Makes me want it even more now ;)
      xxx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x