Thursday, 7 February 2013

Thank You x

Hello....

It's just me,I'm popping back in to say a huge thank you for being there with such heartfelt comments when i needed them the most,They lifted me up,Truly like you have no idea,I couldn't reply to them like i normally do as every time i read them i had tears running down my face as many of you have sadly had similar experiences,Heart breaking,Really it is Heart breaking and so unfair.

You girls are the kindest sweetest friends a girl could be lucky enough to have,
I am blessed and lucky that you stop by here to say hi and give me words of encouragement or just to make me smile,Thank you to each and everyone of you xxx

It was so great travelling with Steve Friday afternoon listening to him talk about his day and seeing how the landscape had changed since my last visit,Fields are plowed and some are green,I spotted  two  beautiful roe deer munching on fresh green shoots in one of the fields,they are very cute.

It was cold when we arrived at Shingle Cottage and snow was falling but after a hot chocolate and the heating turned up full we were nice and cozy.

I have to be honest i was not into it at all and found my work on Saturday a real struggle,My heart wasn't in it at all but i pushed myself and did what i had to and i did it to the best of my ability too as i don't want to have to go over it all on a happier day now do i ?

I feel damaged and talked to Mum about it and she agreed how things would never be the same and that made me think ok then they will be different? and that's what i'm working on.
I'm taking it slow and i listened to your words,I'm feeling,Just letting it wash over me,It's hard because i want to ignore it,It hurts to feel and have memories of my Sister come at me with an open heart but you know i am remembering good things too,Things i had forgotten from when we were young,Things from our Summer place,Things that are making me smile.




I made over this little cabinet with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (tm) i used Scandinavian Pink & Old Ochre and dark wax.

It started out just as a plain pine cabinet.


With orange wicker baskets.


I painted the planks in stripes of colour and once dry i added a lot of dark wax to give a nice vintage look......
I wiped the dark wax in the centers of the planks and left it nice and heavy top and bottom as you can see below.

The top was decoupaged in a pretty chintz rose and it had three top coats to seal it so it can now be wiped.


The baskets came with cotton liners so i added some hand dyed lace all around the top,I love sewing! It's very therapeutic and like gardening you can lose yourself for hours.


This is how they turned out...I painted the baskets with Chalk Paint (tm) too i used Old White and
then dry brushed Versailles on top.


I might pop it in the bottom of the wardrobe in the bedroom for extra storage although Steve and my friend Sweetpea want it in the bathroom.


I sealed all the wood in the wardrobe at the weekend and gave it two coats of pink and painted the floor and ceiling inside.


The back wall is going to be papered in Laura Ashley Jossette in Linen below,I asked Cindy from Cindys Fractured Fairytale  for help!
I emailed her over and over with different patterns and we chatted about how they would look with jeans and pretty dresses etc and narrowed it down to this which we think will go with anything.
I want it pretty inside,Really pretty,I can't wait to do and show you what i have planned.

Thanks Cindy xxx


Oh i have to show you this too and tell you the story behind it.

Steve was driving along by himself when he spotted this Swedish bench outside a junk shop with a sign on it saying garden bench for sale thirty pounds...Steve said he braked that hard he nearly bumped his head on the windscreen and he said he did think about offering twenty five but figured he was getting such a great deal he felt mean and the guy was really happy  for once he had not be bartered down.

It has lots of storage inside too....Talking of the inside it needs a lick of paint any suggestions? A bright pop of colour maybe ?

 (i hope everyone says pink and only i can read this it's invisible text)


I have been cycling for an hour a day on my exercise bike for the last few weeks,I read there is a strong link between happy and exercise so i am making it a part of my daily life....Once we move i will step it up walking Beatrix on the beach and making changes in my diet too.

I cycle while watching this crazy programme on TV all about a group of housewife's in Beverley Hills,It was on by chance the first time i started and it just stuck,they are all skinny and blow dried with in an inch of their lives so it makes me pedal faster.
One of the housewives is English,She has a little dog that goes everywhere with her and she loves pink!!

Can you imagine? ;)

Join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage...
XxX



20 comments:

  1. Great to see you are doing much better! Love the little pink side table. I think I'd love to see the Swedish bench in Annie Sloan Paris Grey??? maybe with floral cushions from Cabbages and Roses...have a lovely week! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      Thank you,Oooh i have Paris Grey too ;) oh i love Cabbages & Roses too,I have their books and flick through them often,So beautiful xxx

      Delete
  2. I think it such a hoot (that means funny in Alabama, USA) that you are watching "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills!" I am convinced they are all automatons, painted, coiffed and dressed each day, loaded with whatever that day's dialogue will be, then wound up and their 'start' buttons pressed! But it is wonderful mindless 'empty carbs for your mind' while you pedal away. Good luck to you; stay strong...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha i think you right! I am that bust trying to understand what is going on the hour is up,It's perfect ;) Thank you xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness gracious... so much pretty here. Your bench is crazy wonderful and so is the little pink and white striped cupboard. I'm sure it was therapeutic for you to create those precious liners. Sending you hugs, hoping to help with your brave struggle through such powerful emotions that are surfacing.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy!
      The wallpaper is so pretty in real life and such a beautiful pale sepia colour,
      Hugs thank you i appreciate it xxxx

      Delete
  4. I love the cabinet and the bench..you do such a great job! I had somehow missed the post about your sister--I am so sorry. What a hard loss. I am sure she is still with you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy,
      I wanted to sell the little cabinet but Steve won't let me,Yes it is hard,I miss her like crazy,
      xxx

      Delete
  5. One can never have to many soft pinks, can one? Love the little storage piece, and I love Paris Grey for the little bench too. Just keep keeping on dear lady. Lots of good thoughts and prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Mary you are my kind of girl :) I adore pink!
      I'm recovering some lampshades today and then i have a dresser to paint,No rest for the wicked as my Mum would say,
      Thank you xxx

      Delete
  6. That storage bench is SO lovely, I've wanted one like this for ages. What a bit of luck finding it for such a low price! Where did you get the beautiful rose chintz you used for the top of the pine cabinet? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!
      I have looked at similar benches on Scumble Goosie for years,The boy did good and for thirty pounds amazing,The rose chintz fabric is vintage eiderdown fabric,The eiderdown was damaged so i salvaged the fabric it's very thin so decoupages brilliantly xxx

      Delete
  7. Hi,sooo glad that you're showing us your beautiful creations again,I think a little rainbow inside your bench lid would be good? Take care,warm regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam :)
      Thanks,A rainbow is such a fun idea!
      xxx

      Delete
  8. You are an artist! Love what you did with that cabinet! The colours are sooo charming! I'd leave the bench as is though, it looks shabby and old and delicious! Maybe throw on a few well coloured pillows? :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Katherine! I love the bench as it is too,a lot actually,Oh yes you are right! Lots of pillows would be lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet little cabinet. What would you say is the difference between Old Ocher and Old White ASCP. I have only used old white. Love the storage in the cute bench. I'm sure you will do an amazing job on it.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ahrisha,
    Thank you,Old Ochre is a creamy buttermilk colour,It's beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x