Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Paint,Floors,Time for a picnic?


Hello dear readers!
Thank you all for your lovely comments on my last post and i am so glad you all approve of the decor so far,I sat in there with a hot chocolate on Saturday night and i looked around and thought so  this is where i will curl up in my pj's and watch a movie,i still can't really believe it looks like this and i can not stop playing with those fairy lights they are so pretty when it's dark and it's all a bit new,I think every girl should have fairy lights somewhere in her home. 



Pretty flowers arrived along with my neighbor at the weekend 'just because'...She had seen the pink trug they were sat in and she said she thought of me,I wonder why? ;)

The Victorian Women's Recipe Book was a present from my lovely Mum,It has lots of pages for you to write your own recipes in with titles such as 'starters' 'puddings' etc...I must get my  Grandma's Christmas Cake recipe from Mum to copy into my book and then i can have a go later on this year.


I  primed the cupboard doors and worktop in the little laundry and gave them  two top coats of  my hand mixed seafoam....I did it the old fashioned way and i have to say i rather enjoyed it.....The colour is much brighter than this but i think my camera must have been left on beach bright light setting as it looks almost grey here.....I used Farrow & Ball  paint and the mix was half a tin of Wimborne White,A big dollop of Green Blue and a splash of Arsenic....

I will take more pictures this weekend to show you the true colour.


I painted all the shelves inside and filled the bottom one up on Sunday morning with all my buys i have been stashing,I have two or three of everything which makes Steve laugh...He asked me if there was a war on? I told him i'm not old mother Hubbard i'm a girl who likes things in my cupboard! 

I will be painting the inside of the doors this weekend in a colour....I would like to add and 'no it won't be pink' but you never know with me do you? :)


Steve laid all new floorboards in the  room that is in the center of the cottage that leads into the garden room where we will eventually have french doors and our dining table,At the moment it is filled with all kinds of rubbish which i have to clean away next time i'm at Shingle Cottage. 

You see the window at the far end? well we have now decided that will be french doors and this weekend Steve is cladding the ceiling in the garden room and cladding a lot of the walls too...There is a little step down into the garden room which i love and then there will be another step down into the garden.


This is the view from the step looking backwards into the hallway,You can see i have the vac out as i knew you were coming to look at what had been done since your last visit and i like Shingle Cottage tidy for you girls.

You can also see what a difference white floors make too!

The skirting boards are primed and ready for top coat and the two white cupboard doors are primed and ready for a paint job i have in mind.

These two rooms don't look much now but they are going to be coastal blues,Grey's and white's,White China,Silverware and cut glass.

So now you are all caught up on what has been happening since you last stopped by :)


We always take a car full of belongings and small pieces of furniture with us on a weekend and this time i decided to bring this wicker picnic hamper along,I don't think it has been used as everything is too pristine,Maybe it's because it is so big and heavy? It has bone china plates with lily of the valley on. 
Lots of little storage tubs and jars and i think i will add to these and pop a set of napkins in there too.

I can imagine sitting by a river in my straw hat sipping tea from these pretty little cups can't you?...We have been on the look out for a portable wind up gramophone so that we can take it with us on Summer jaunts,That would be our idea of heaven.


I also packed these two new little pink pooch bowls all ready for a little someone who is sat on my sidebar with feathers in her hair,She will be living here too soon won't she?


Oh i can't wait,Really i can't!

Join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage...
XxX

23 comments:

  1. Oh it's absolutely breathtaking! The hamper is delightful, you'll have to bring it with you when we hit the road! Thanks for popping over to Thriftwood xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Thriftwood and yes i will gladly bring the picnic hamper ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. Your sweet cottage is really coming along!OH I LOVE those doors! And your laundry cabinet too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to make everything beautiful. I've learned I will be returning to my home, which I've been renting to my son and his family for the past 3-1/2 yrs., much sooner than expected. Now I really need to get on the ball and review all of your transformations and DIY instructions. Don't suppose I could talk you and hubby into an extended visit to Georgia, could I? :)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane :)
      Oh you will have so much fun changing things up! How extended? ;) xxx

      Delete
  4. I love your progress!

    Oh my gosh! I have a back porch that looks like that! Daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love what you are doing to your gorgeous cottage. The picnic basket is wonderful; did you find it at an auction? How brilliant that all that bone china has survived the years.
    In the summer months I carry a picnic hamper in my car and take water (and dog bowl), my single burner camping cooker plus a picnic and the makings of tea & coffee so that I can drive to a beauty spot somewhere along the Cornish coast and spend a whole day there with my doggy mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rambler! :)
      I found the picnic basket under a table in a charity shop for £20 would you believe? It can't have been used can it? There is not a chip or a scratch anywhere on the china.
      Ooooh that sounds wonderful! I am going to look out for a single burner,Thank you! xxx

      Delete
  6. Hi K, the cottage is looking beautiful, really pleased for you. Love the vintage looking picnic basket and what a treat to have real china cups and saucers. Can't wait to see the cottage finished so that you and Steve can enjoy all your hard work. Have a lovely weekend. Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon x
      I can't wait to use the china once we have finished a little more work and the sun starts to shine.
      Have a lovely weekend xxx

      Delete
  7. You are doing a wonderful job to your cottage. It is going to be so beautiful. Love the cladding and painted floor.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosezeeta,It's the last floor to paint phew! xxx

      Delete
  8. Hi,I adore the picnic set,can't wait for a properly warm summer day when we can all enjoy our picnic.We must post pictures of us all picnicking with our styles of hamper!Wouldn't that be fun?Awaiting the next installment with eagerness!!'bye for now Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam :)
    Oh what a great idea! Yes let's do it a 'picnic party' it would be fun!
    We are taking our girl this afternoon let's see how she likes her new home ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Krissie, I can't wait to see your lady lamp made over and in situ at Shingle Cottage. I have been avidly following your progress - the cottage is delightful! My lady lamp is unchanged and I still love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely Lucy Bloom :)
      Thank you so much! I love your lady lamp and i am glad to hear she is unchanged,Hopefully mine will look just as lovely when she is made over xx

      Delete
  11. Bet you can't wait for those nights curled up in your pj's watching a movie...Won't belong now...you deserve a long rest...
    N x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream of them Niki ;) only two and a half weeks and then pj time! xxx

      Delete
  12. Glad to see all you have done so far~ it is looking fantastic. I love the painted floors and I can see the grey green on the doors. They look wonderful. What a smart looking radiator so thin it tucks up nice against the wall. I have a huge one in my shop that seems to interfere often when I want to move furniture around. Ugh. I ADORE that picnic basket as Lily of the Valley is a personal favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! Yes they are nice and tidy,I really don't like radiators at all but Steve bought really slim ones so i don't think they will show too much once everything is in.
      I want to get some Lily of the valley bulbs for our garden,They are so pretty and smell like heaven x

      Delete
  13. Thank you for your Easter wishes Krissie, you will be all cosy and warm in Shingle Cottage soon I hope. Have a lovely Easter weekend, whatever you are doing.
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x