Friday, 1 March 2013

The Little Laundry & My Goings On

 Good morning my lovely readers!
Last time i told you i had something to show you that i had been up to well it's all here! but first i want to tell you all about the laundry room that Steve worked on last week.

We had cladded all the walls and ceiling in here and laid new floorboards before painting everything Antique White for a soft chalky glow,The boiler was installed by Steve and all the plumbing for the washing machine as that's his job,Plumber and gas fitter  and let me tell you ladies i am blessed because that has really kept our costs down.
I'll be honest with the two of us working away and not having to pay anyone to do the work on Shingle Cottage it was the only way we can make this dream of ours come true and we don't mind one bit.

'The wall to the left is packed with black insulation and we can not finish this wall until the new window is fitted hopefully later this year'  

The laundry room is tiny! really,really tiny,You couldn't get a single bed in here in either direction tiny!

So i am naming it 'The Little Laundry'

So what to do? 


A worktop was needed and i asked Steve to make me one from floorboards and told him to think potting bench,We had lots of floorboards left so why not use it up and keep costs down,plus i can now do whatever kind of paint job i like on it and i like to paint,It's no secret ;)

We talked of shelving for storage but we also wanted to hide the boiler from view.

 hmmmmm thinking caps on everyone?



We have two reclaimed pine wardrobes that will not fit anywhere in Shingle Cottage so i unscrewed one of the doors and took it into Steve and said would four of these fit across that wall?

Don't worry i have a super duper plan for the rest of the wardrobes they won't go to waste ;)
I am going to chop up and reuse as much of our furniture as i can.


 Steve loved the idea and he got to work and built a frame on top of the worktop and up to the ceiling,wall to wall...


Before i forget do you like my light? I bought it from Laura Ashley and have had it for ages tucked in a cupboard and its tin with little tin shades that i thought would be nice in here,It has a super long chain which needs sorting out at a later date.


Steve edged the worktop for a nice finish and our little laundry was starting to take shape.


On went the four doors and shelves were built inside.


All beaded in and ready for paint with lovely storage shelves! There is a lot of room in here and it's nice and warm from the boiler.

What do you think ladies airing cupboard?


 I'm going to be in the little laundry this afternoon painting away and we have talked of some shade of green/soft duck eggy aqua? and then some soft chipping here and there,I'll take my camera so i can show you next time.

Onto my goings on......Well you know in my last post i had been in the wardrobe with pink paint and pretty paper keeping myself busy?....Well my friend Sweetpea popped over and she told me my front room looked like a shop and that i couldn't fit anything else in here and how where we going to fit sofa's in here ?

I looked around 'gulp' arriving here week after week with boxes of this and that had started to take it's toll on our room.

I told her everything had a place and i would have it tidy for the morning for when she pops over to see me before i go....Why did i say that???

She joked about holding an open house and selling everything!!!!!

WHAT!!!!!!!



Well panicking just in case it was not a joke and i would return home this weekend to an empty Shingle Cottage i quickly emptied boxes and mopped and dusted and stayed up late,I hung fairy lights wrapped around rose garlands and threw a crown on the clock.



I wiggled my nose like Samantha from Bewitched  but nothing happened!

I sang ' Just a spoon full of sugar'

In ev'ry job that must be done
There is an element of fun
You find the fun and snap!
The job's a game
And ev'ry job you undertake
Becomes a piece of cake!

Good old Mary Poppins! Eesy peasy lemon squeezy!


I popped china here and candles there! hung the curtain holders and swagged the curtains!

Steve walked by on his way to the little laundry smiling as he saw the changes happening.


I placed a chair in the window with a wire table and a bird cage,Thinking somewhere nice to sit with the windows flung open behind you,Somewhere you could hear the sea and smell the roses in Summer as they waft in on a sea breeze. 



Soon is started to look like this,All romantic and dreamy just how i like it.....Once the scaffolding is gone and the garden is planted it will have a nice view too!



I brought my pink wicker sofa and the bench that Steve picked up and all of a sudden we had a room,Now it won't be staying  exactly like this once we move in as i have two white sofas to bring and some furniture but we had to stop Sweetpea selling everything off didn't we? ;)



On Sunday morning the sun was shining as i looked in and it looked so pretty to me....Oh and yes Sweetpea was shocked on Sunday morning :)


We left shortly after this so i didn't get to enjoy it so i am excited to sit in here tonight with a hot chocolate and a few marshmallows with the fairy lights twinkling and i think i will take a pile of books with me too.

Well girls i must dash i can hear Shingle Cottage calling,Steve has just washed the car and it's all packed and ready to go at lunch time,I hope you enjoyed reading about the little laundry and seeing the pictures of our room.

 I wish you a wonderful weekend wherever you are and whatever you are up to and remember when i turn the fairy lights out  tonight in Shingle Cottage we are all  under the same sky!

Join me next time for more tales and goings on from our place and yours 'Shingle Cottage'

XxX

44 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love Shingle Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Wow, Wow. It is all soooo gorgeous and these images and your dressing of the room are worthy of a book or magazine article. You must be absolutely tickled pink with it all and I bet the first word of anyone who sees it is also WOW! Love that chair and the laundry room makeover is brilliant and inspirational.
    Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lovin' the new laundry room and am envious, I have only a laundry "closet" and would love to have a real room for the laundry area. Your decorating is lovely. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie :)
      Thank you! The laundry used to be the bathroom can you believe? It is going to be great to have it all in one little room out of the way xxx

      Delete
  4. It's all looking gorgeous, I adore the little laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it is so pretty! I love the laundry and can't wait to see it finished.

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy Jo :)
      Thank you! I can't wait either xxx

      Delete
  6. We all wish we had a laundry room like yours! I would definitely use the cupboards nearest the boiler for an airing cupboards and the detergents down under the counter in a cupboard. Glorious space for ironing too... Your photos of the lounge look amazingly dreamy and white and floaty....wonderful what you've achieved here...happy weekend! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon :)
      I painted inside the cupboards and the bottom shelf is full of detergent etc already! Thank you! I love how the room looks and it was so pretty to sit in there at the weekend with the lights down low,
      Hope your well xxx

      Delete
  7. So beautiful. Calm and peaceful and cheery all at once. I think I need a Steve - what a great job he did! J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie :)
      Thank you! I am lucky he is very clever and he enjoys it too x

      Delete
  8. Wow, wow and even bigger wow! The laundry room is fab, and lve the transformation on your room, you have such beautiful things ... Enjoy your weekend and looking forward to seeing what you get up to!

    Glad I've found you on fb!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Thriftwood :)
      It's all starting to turn into a home isn't it? I can't wait to move especially now Spring is on it's way,It was a lovely surprise to see you pop up on fb xxx

      Delete
  9. Very pretty! And you're so lucky to have a DH who enjoys working on the house with you. A friend arrived yesterday, saying what a difference it made that next door's tree had been taken down (it hung over our front garden) and my DH hadn't even noticed!! LOL!! But the up side is that I get to do what I want in the house, as he really doesn't mind - as long as he doesn't have to do it! Chris x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrysalis,
      Thank you and yes i am very lucky indeed! The tree lol! too funny! xxx

      Delete
  10. Love what you have done to your laundry room. You have been very clever with making storage. And your worktop is fantastic. Can't wait to see it all painted.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosezeeta!
      We are trying to make storage wherever we can to hide all my things ;) Steve did a good job with the worktop didn't he? i love it xxx

      Delete
  11. What sweetness everywhere, a dream of a room! Just love everything! The laundry room will be a gem. Have a lovely weekend. Look forward to all of your postings, lots of sparklie love coming your way, Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary xxx
      I'm packing today,I can not believe how much i have to pack i am never moving again i tell you but i shall shop for more pretties often ;)
      Love to you xxxx

      Delete
  12. It's all coming together so beautifully. Ask Sweetpea if we can have a picture of her sometime on your blog. I would certainly love to meet her. I am envious of your laundry room. Mine is in dire need of some attention, and soon. I think Duck Egg would be dreamy for in their. Enjoy your weekend, all the best! Patty/BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty :)
      I will ask Sweetpea or just sneak a snap when she isn't looking ;) She is a lovely lady and i am really lucky to have found such a lovely friend.
      Oh i mixed Eau De Nil with Ivory for the laundry and it is so pretty,Like seafoam or seaglass but very pale,i may add a little white to the mouldings this eekend to make the colour pop,Anyhow it turned out lovely,That used to be the bathroom Patty can you believe it?
      Have a lovely day xxx

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness! Your room is absolutely stunning! I just pinned the full picture, calling it "the most wonderfully romantic space ever," encouraging everyone to visit your blog and read all about the cottage's transformation. I don't know how you could tear yourself away for even a minute. Had I been there, you wouldn't need have worried about things being sold, I'd have slipped away in the middle of the night with it all loaded into a moving van!
    Warm wishes,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Diane Thank you! :)
      It is horrible having to tear ourselves away,Honestly it makes me tear up when i lock the door and we wave and say 'See you next week' We are too romantic and have fallen in love with Shingle Cottage,The moving date was decided yesterday and we will be there by 31st March so not long now.
      Haha Diane that made me laugh thinking of you driving off with all my worldly possessions,I am going to get Steve to keep a good eye on you if you come to visit ;)
      XxX

      Delete
  14. Im shocked too, everything is so PRETTY. O.O WOW!!! You live in heaven dear girl, heaven!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine i'm shocked too! :)
      Thank you it feels like it xxx

      Delete
  15. My beautiful friend,
    how amazing your new home looks! It could not be a more perfect setting for you and your family. Wishing you love and light always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my darling Lola,
      Thank you,I remember when we first placed an offer on Shingle Cottage and you told me to visualize walking up the garden path and imagining roses and flowers everywhere and that i would turn the key in the lock and go inside and that the cottage would come to us and it did!
      I dreamt every night until i held those keys in my hands xxx

      Delete
  16. Oh my the cottage just looks so beautiful. So chic and romantic. You and Steve have worked so hard. The laundry will be a perfect space for an otherwise very unromantic chore. You are getting close to moving. Exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann ;)
      Yes not long now,Just in time for Spring! We were painting floors at quarter to nine on Saturday night but guess what it was the last one! xxx

      Delete
  17. Your laundry room may be tiny but it is going to be the prettiest one around! What a wonderful idea for those cabinets! So much room for storage and it looks so pretty too! LOVE that light fixture too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne :)
      Steve did such a great job and i already have them painted and the bottom shelf filled! xxx

      Delete
  18. Hi,I was sooo relieved to see more from Shingle Cottage,I really look forward to your posts,living the dream in such a beautiful place,you have such good taste and Steve is VERY clever to do all that stuff!! LOVE your little laundry and all those beautiful things you have.Can't wait to see more.Have a good weekend.'bye for now Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      Thank you so much! I love the little laundry too! It's so cute and tiny,I have all my new towels packed and ready to pop in those cupboards come the weekend,The washing powders are already in!,Yes Steve is really clever he amazes me with what he can do and i am lucky but you know he loves doing it!
      See you soon Pam xxx

      Delete
  19. Wow, you really got in gear. It looks so cute and homey. I realize you will be moving stuff around, but, for now it works. Thanks for sharing. Blessings Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula,
      I think i will be forever moving things around if i'm honest,I do like to fluff the nest!
      xxx

      Delete
  20. OH MY GOSH! I can't believe you got that room looking so pretty so fast! It looks like a wonderland, a dream... I'm amazed
    You are so lucky to have a husband who has so many skills, and it sounds like he is really supportive of all your pretties and girly fluff. The doors are PERFECT too. Wow....

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stayed up so late Cindy! ;)
      Thank you! Yes i am lucky that he is so clever and so lucky he lets me have everything as romantic and girly as i like xxx

      Delete
  21. Yes, ma'am, you have a keeper of a man there. You make a great team and I so enjoy watching shingle cottage turn into your own pink retirement home, one project at a time. It takes vision and you certainly have it. Keep on keeping on, gal, and thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Marje i do ;)
      Thank you! We do work really well together but we both enjoy it and get excited so that helps an awful lot i think.
      I don't think i will ever stop! :)
      xxx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x