Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Oh,to be in England


Come on  jump in the car it's time to go for a drive around the English countryside at dusk....
Seat belts on we don't have long before the sun begins to set...It's magic hour.


Beautiful views are everywhere and none of us have a care,This is our time to just be......


Lets stop at the old priory with heavenly light shining through it's door and imagine how it might have looked....



Gaze at its stone arches and then up at the sky and that beautiful window...




With it's views across lush green fields....



We walk past lime green hedgerows on our way back to the car...Spring has sprung!



Driving on past fields of Spring babies....



Stopping  a while and saying 'Hello'



  
The peacock and the hare? 

You never know what you will see at dusk in the countryside ...

But it wouldn't be Spring without bundles of snowy white cotton wool bleeting here and there now would it?


They were singing a song as the sun began to set....Press play and hear them and see the little one skipping.... 



The sun is dropping and the air is turning cold,Time to get back in the car and head for Shingle Cottage...


Home Thoughts From Abroad

Oh,to be in England
Now that April's there,
And whoever wakes in England
See's,Some morning,unaware,
That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
Round the elm tree bole are tiny leaf,
While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
In England.....Now

And after April,when May follows,
And the whitethroat builds.and all the swallows
Hark,where my blossom'd pear tree in the hedge
Leans to the field and scatters on the clover
Blossoms and dewdrops-at the bent spray's edge-
That's the wise thrush;he sings each song twice over,
Lest you should think he never could recapture
The first fine careless rapture!
And thought the fields look rough with hoary dew,
All will be gay when noontide wakes anew
The buttercups,the children's dower
-Far brighter than this gaudy melon flower!

Robert Browning

I hope you enjoyed joining us on our dusk drive :)

Join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage...

XxX

18 comments:

  1. Good Morning!!!!

    I loved this post!! I call this time of day "the time of long shadows' as they seem to stretch across the fields just before the sun sets...my favorite time!!

    What a lovely ride and great pictures to capture the moments.

    Of course my favorite part is all the babies and that glorious bleeping! Thanks for the sweet video and for taking me along on your ride.

    Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Janet :)

    'The time of long shadows' is a beautiful way to describe dusk,I wanted to hug one of those lambs they were so cute!
    So glad you could come xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. Stunning photos and I love that video.
    Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth :) so glad you loved the lamb video x

      Delete
  4. Hi Krissie, thanks for sharing these lovely photos with us, its nice to see your surroundings! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweet Christie :) Your welcome,So Happy you liked them xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh the gloaming! When the trees look like black lace in the darkening blue, my favorite time! The lambs, the sweet lambs, I miss them so. Thank you so much for the gentle reminders of times past while living in England and the Rebulic of Ireland. Never a day passes with a daydream or two.
    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right the trees do look like black lace!
      Mary the lambs were so ,so beautiful and i want one so badly to skip around my cottage garden and when they make that little bleet...oh it's just too much!
      I love to daydream :) xx

      Delete
  6. Oh what a lovely post ... really enjoyed the early evening drive! What a beautiful country we live in ... Last year I did a post entitled, Oh to be in England, as that is one of my favourite poems ... learnt by heart, lying on the school tennis courts, ten minutes before the English lesson. The girl in front of me often had to give me a helping hand by holding her book under the desk so that I could read from that! Happy days ...

    Have a wonderful day

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire :)
      Yes we do live in a beautiful country,So much to see and so much beauty! I will have to look up your post,i love that poem too it paints pictures in your head.
      Have a lovely week too xxx

      Delete
  7. I shared this with Mr.MD this morning! So cute and fun to listen to the lambs...beautiful countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy they are so loud in real life! So cute and yes the countryside is really beautiful i can't wait to see it all turn green x

      Delete
  8. Good Morning! What a lovely post to start my morning! I love this poem and long to be in England! Someday!!
    Thank you
    xo Colette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning to you Colette!
    Glad you enjoyed it :) It's beautiful isn't it...Have a beautiful day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I did love the evening drive in the countryside; only to be there myself. I love Browning's poem. We just read Browning in my literature class--the less romantic "My Last Duchess." Spring in England must be glorious. Here, spring has been a bust. Very cold with inches and inches of snow. I was checking my David Austin roses this afternoon and I can only hope that they survived the freeze that we had last week and then again this week, so I have enjoyed spring in England with the daffodils and the baby sheep. Take a long deep breath of fresh English spring for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i knew you would Ann :) i am breathing in right now x
      I checked my David Austin roses last weekend too,There are tiny signs of leaf buds,They were badly burned in a storm with the sea winds a few weeks ago so it has set them back.
      Have a lovely weekend xxx

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful poem and beautiful images to start my day...love the countryside of England - so lovely...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x