Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Pretty In The Kitchen

 I had a lovely time by the sea at the weekend with my stash of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and the new colours i tried this time... Empire Red & Old English Yellow...

I mixed Antoinette with Empire Red and it made a lovely rose pink :) 

That's how i mix mine below in an old butter tub so i have plenty of room to blend the colours together and i always add just a drop of water to help...I will be getting an Annie Sloan paint brush  soon as my friends tell me they are amazing to work with.

What was i going to paint with this new rose pink i had created???



Oh look the butchers block is shouting 'Me,Me!'..............Oh ok it didn't but it doesn't seem to mind does it? ;)

I left it drying so a light sand and a wax to come this weekend.....Won't it look lovely once the floor is painted white? 


I had a little left so i started my salt and pepper mill,I think i might paint the bottoms Old English Yellow or maybe Old white....



Saturday morning i was outside in the garden blasting down the butchers block below that we had been given with an electric sander to clean it up and then i mixed Old White,Old Ochre & Old English Yellow which came out a lovely lemon yellow......All to be waxed this weekend.



Spring has arrived and daffodils are everywhere and what a joy to see them,So cheery and bright!


Talking of flowers it is time to start emptying all your used tea bags and mulching around your hydrangea shrubs...It's amazing how much you can get out of a few tea bags and they make your hydrangea flower like crazy!
Last year i emptied them while out in the garden and my hands were covered in tea leaves and so was the door handle so i do it in the sink now and then take a cup out....It's much easier to clean up after.


You just sprinkle them on top and water them in...See the black pot in the top right hand corner?


It  keeps the bunnies from nibbling our delphiniums,Just an up turned plant pot with the bottom  out.. 


The view from the kitchen door...Everything we planted last year has come back apart from one delphinium plant so that's not bad is it especially after such a long Winter.

The concrete path ran right across the garden when we came and i broke up a lot of it last Summer and started to dig over the soil and make some flower borders this year i need to do the rest of the path...The picket fence will be getting a lick of paint soon and then when Summer arrives i will be out here pottering about and making more flower borders .


My mum packed us  a battenburg which i just love,the cake and the colours....


And our neighbor brought us a homemade banana and date loaf which was so,so nice! 


In between emptying tea bags,eating cake and painting butchers blocks in the kitchen we also finally put cut glass knobs on out kitchen cupboards..


I painted these in Old White and Antoinette over the top and then sanded back,they look so lovely and time worn.....Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is wonderful to work and as you know i use it a lot.


While on the subject of cut glass.....what do you think to this little cut glass decanter that my friend Niki of Nostalgia At The Stone House   sent me for a house  cottage  warming present?

Oh no that isn't red wine girls...


It's washing up liquid ;)

I had seen one that Niki had in her shop and asked after it but it had been decorated in  beautiful lace and flowers which i told Niki was a shame as it would get ruined,i wanted to decant my washing up liquid,So while out on a shopping trip she found this pretty one and sent it to me as a house  cottage warming gift,How nice was that?

Thank you again Niki i  love it and as you can see it fits perfectly on my sink :)

Then Steve had been working in a ladies house last week who was seventy four  and she has very bad arthritis in her hands,She told him she knits to stop her fingers seizing up and it eases the pain and would his girl like some hand knitted dish cloths?

Well bless her heart she sent me two and they are so soft and pretty i'm not sure i can use them to wash dishes.


It makes doing the dishes a whole lot prettier and i love cottage pretty!

Thank you all for your kind comments on my lamp shades in my last post by the way,

I hope your week has been a good one and that Spring is arriving in your corner of the world x


Join me next time for more tales and goings on from you know where.....

XxX

33 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it ALL!!!
    And thanks for the tea tip for hydrangeas.
    I will definitley give it a go!
    Happy Day,
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danette me too! :) It really does make hydrangea bloom give it a go x

      Delete
  2. There has been a lot of water or should I say paint ! under our bridges since we met..lol
    I have just had a little read of your blog, lots of catching up to do.
    You have been very busy. I have decorators block at the moment, too much else to think and do. I do love to see what others get up to in their decor blogs though. But with all the social networking now I am finding it harder to keep up with everything.
    I do hope you are well and life is treating you good.
    Cxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few rivers would be more to the truth lol!
      I can not believe you have decorators block wow! That's what you do Carol ;) We are all well thank you,i hope your lovely family are all happy too xxx

      Delete
  3. Ooh I love al your crafty ideas, and I'm definitely going to start mixing Annie Sloan! The decanter on the kitchen sn's is an inspired idea which I'm afraid I'm going to have to pinch!

    Your home is fabulous, and I can't wait to see the garden n summer ...

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,
      You can get some lovely candy pastel colours by mixing Annie Sloan and i am so glad you are going to decant your washing up liquid,Looks so much prettier.
      Thank you xxx

      Delete
  4. Afternoon gorgeous. You don't seem to be showing up in my feed which is MOST annoying!!! Oh oh oh where to start.
    Firstly, I am SO going to copy you with the salt and peppermills as have the same ones. Will you still wax and sand them? And do you sand or wax first?
    I always wonder if Annie Sloan makes a pretty rose pink as want to paint my kitchen chairs but obviously not if you have had to mix yours. What is Antoinette like on its own then? Not pink and pretty enough?
    I HATE my kitchen cabinets. They are ugly and old fashioned. Don't know whether to try and paint them or not.
    Oh and we have a really old hydrangea bush that looks brown and weird (I know nothing about them, only lived in the house 7 months. Where do I put the tea leaves? Around the bottom where the roots are? And when should it flower?
    Oooooooh I loved this blog post today, you've got me excited about possibilities.
    Oh and you left the lovely comment over at mine. Thanks so much.
    Gem x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afternoon lovely!
      How weird because you don't show up in mine and i followed you? I just come hunt you out ;)
      I might clear varnish so they don't mark,If i waxed i would sand after but varnish i would sand first then seal,I want to do circle stripes around them in different colours too i think or i might have to get some more.
      Antoinette is a dusky plaster coloured pink it is beautiful and a more grown up pink,in fact scroll up it is on my cupboard doors....I wanted candy pink so mixed in the empire red to pep it up a lot.
      Paint your kitchen Gem loads of bloggers have and they always look better!
      Just clip off the top of your old flowers on your hydrangea,they flower on last years wood so if you hack them back you get no flowers for a year,Yes just sprinkle the tea leaves around the shrub and water in,they like lots of water too so don't let it dry out in Summer....They flower Early Summer right through to October.
      Have fun with whatever you get up to xxxx

      Delete
  5. My message hasn't shown....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh, you need to approve it first...soz! x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty and fun! I also love how it contrasts with your natural floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) the natural floor is waiting for a lick of white paint x

      Delete
  8. IM IN LOVE! ITS ABSOLUTELY LOVELY & INVITING

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many pretty things going on in this post, i don't even know where to start! The pink you mixed up is gorgeous, so bright and warm and pretty, and i love the soft lemon yellow too. Everything there looks like pure delight, with the cakes and the daffodils, and the pink cabinets with glass knobs... oh my goodness. I love the decanter too, so much prettier than an ugly ole plastic soap dispenser. Plus, thanks for the cool tip about the tea grounds, i will demand ALL tea grounds MUST be saved now for the hydrangeas! Isn't it fun to see all the things you planted coming up and getting ready to bloom!? Most of the plants are in their second year aren't they? That means you might get some pretty good flowering this year... YAY!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy :)
      Thank you! Oh yes save tea grounds and then get ready for blooms! It is really exciting now the plants are in their second year as hopefully we will get lots of flowers maybe even a few to cut?
      xxx

      Delete
  10. What a delight to read on this cold, snowy Colorado day!
    Love it all and I feel like Spring, now! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mar snow??? Really? oh i hope Spring comes your way soon xxx

      Delete
  11. What a delightful post to read on this cold and snowy Colorado day!
    I feel like Spring now! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post! I am in love with your pink kitchen cabinets, crystal knobs and your pink butcher block! I dream of having a little beach cottage and painting it white with pastel colors! So romantic! I am amazed at how much you both have accomplished and so excited for you!
    Thanks also for the tip on hydrangeas! Are your hydrangeas pink or blue? I usually add ammonium sulfate to turn mine blue but thought I would enjoy trying tea leaves for more blossoms. I keep planting more hydrangeas around my yard ever since a friend brought a blue one as a house gift years ago, it is huge now! David Austin roses and blue hydrangeas surround our house in an apple orchard in California! Thank you for sharing your lovely cottage with us! I love everything British! Happy Shingle Cottage to you!!
    xo Colette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Colette :)
      My hydrangeas are pale baby pink and the others more cerise and i love pink so that works for me but i might like to have blue too as they look lovely dried don't they? Oh i LOVE David Austin roses and have them in our garden,Your garden sounds beautiful and an apple orchard oh my how dreamy!
      Sending you wishes for a lovely day from England xx

      Delete
  13. I do love the new pink color. Wow. You are one of the few who I know who can turn liquid soap, a glass decanter, and a wash cloth into a work of art! I am really hoping that my sweet little hydrangeas that I planted last year survived the winter. It think that it has been too cold for them to show any sign of life. We do drink a lot of coffee and plenty of tea, so I need to start saving the grounds and tea bags (do you use loose tea or tea bags?) for the hydrangea. Thanks for reminding us. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann :)
      You know there wasn't a leaf bud on ours until about a week ago and we are right on the cliff top so we get bitter winds that blast our garden and they have come back so fingers crossed yours will too,You can use loose tea and tea bags and also coffee grinds too.
      xxx

      Delete
  14. I love your new pink an what you did with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Krissie,
    What a wonderfully creative weekend you had! And cake too! :)
    Love the kitchen cabinets with the glass handles...Makes such a difference when transforming tired furniture doesn't it?
    Glad the glass decanter made it to you safely and you have now put it to good use with your shocking pink liquid! Maybe I should find you a larger one for red wine?! ;-))

    Hope your friend's shop takes off and you will soon be supplying her with lovely items.
    Rest you poor paining arm today!
    Niki :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Krissie,
    What a wonderfully creative weekend you had! And cake too! :)
    Love the kitchen cabinets with the glass handles...Makes such a difference when transforming tired furniture doesn't it?
    Glad the glass decanter made it to you safely and you have now put it to good use with your shocking pink liquid! Maybe I should find you a larger one for red wine?! ;-))

    Hope your friend's shop takes off and you will soon be supplying her with lovely items.
    Rest you poor paining arm today!
    Niki :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niki,
      Cake goes so well with tea on a break doesn't it? ;)
      I am really happy we kept those old cupboards because they have turned out so nice and yes like you say a lick of paint new handles make all the difference.
      Two different sizes would be a good idea or i might get mixed up and be coughing bubbles ;)
      Have a lovely day xxx

      Delete
  17. Wouldn't it be fun to have a magic wand to have a progressive weekend where we could just blink and visit all of our homes! Blink-England, blink-Canada, blink-USA, blink -France and so on, what fun! Love all the pink! Xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed it would Mary :)d be most weekends though don't you? xxxx

      Delete
  18. The Daffidols are beautiful, my favourite Spring flower. Your choice of colour is just lovely - so warm and welcoming. I love reading your blog.

    Thank you, Auriol :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x