Thursday, 26 September 2013

Cottage Kitchen

 Tired off no updates and not one blog post from Shingle Cottage for so long the blogging girls decided to get together and take matters into their own hands......
They got dressed in their finest and jumped aboard a lovely old vintage bus they had hired armed with sandwiches,lemonade and funny tales........they quickly settled down as the bus trundled over the hill heading for the beach...

Do you think everything is ok? said one....I hope she's in? said another.....The chatter soon stopped as some started to nod off while others picked up their knitting..The sun shone as the little bus hurried through the countryside... 

The gravel crunched as the old bus pulled up outside the little white picket fence and the driver shouted 'All off for Shingle Cottage'

Up the garden path they marched to the kitchen door....

KNOCK KNOCK!!!!!!! 'Coooeeeeee!! any one home??????' they called.


Uh oh!!! Mummy your not going to believe this!!!! said Beatrix.


    Oh hello girls come on in! So lovely to see you :) i was going to write but i have been really busy....


I'm just finishing ironing and folding the tea towels...I'll just be a minute and then i'll make us all some tea...


There all done!...i keep them on a wrought iron rack that Steve fixed under a little pine cupboard i painted in pink and old white stripes...I love to see them all ironed and stacked,it makes me smile...I'm all about the little things in life these days...


It has been busy,busy in the kitchen here at Shingle Cottage .....hanging pictures and painting the floor with oak stain to match the worktops.....

And a single small cottage,
a nest like a dove's
The only one dwelling on earth
that she loves.

~Wordsworth

I just had to have that picture of a little cottage puffing smoke from it's chimney didn't i? It warms my heart every time i read it...

Are you all ok girls?...have you had a lovely Summer?....


Pastel cottage pictures and pretty china everywhere,just how i dreamed it would be....
Steve hung the picture in the middle of the glass in the door so i get to see it open or closed,I straightened these two pictures every day but the little laundry room is on the other side and every time the washing machine goes on spin they move :) i decided to just go with the flow and let them be...



I painted the standard lamp in the corner in pink and old white and covered a shade in some pretty old rose covered fabric i have and stacked my platters on top of the striped wall cupboard and hung cups from hooks...

There are little bits added here and there through the week and it is always changing...


Steve loves it when he comes home at the weekend looking around to see what has changed or been added...
The little birdy hook will have something hanging from it soon i should think.....



It's so dreamy at night.....Who ever says dreams don't come true just haven't had there's come true yet.........We waited nearly twenty years for Shingle Cottage....(she was worth the wait)


I covered a table lamp yesterday too in vintage rosey eiderdown fabric and a duck egg polka dot...Oh i just love fabric i have to tell you i can sit for hours matching them and holding them up and thinking ooh i'll make this or that and then thinking ooh no its too gorgeous i can't cut it haha....


Look how the roses and little polka dots come alive at night,so pretty and cottagey! and that warm soft glow sigh!....


The more colour i put in the kitchen the more me and Steve love it,its so cozy and homely looking....


It is still very hard living apart but things are getting easier and i am sleeping better now which is heaven,We both wake up in the early hours and reach over to find the other isn't there and Monday mornings are sad,up at five o'clock and Steve has left by six leaving me sat at the kitchen table and him driving home not wanting to but we chat on the phone three or four times a day for half an hour each time,soppy huh? ;)


I made a curtain to go under the work top yesterday to cover up our fridge and give the kitchen a softer prettier look using this fabric...


The view from the hallway last night......



I love this wall shelf painted pink and lined with forties floral rose wallpaper,it is full of cups and pretty china and i gaze at it while making a cup of tea...

Cups and mugs at the bottom...


 pretty china in the middle.....


And hot chocolate and marshmallows on the top.....You can tell sweetpea and me drink it a lot ;)


I don't mind standing and washing up here and looking out of the window onto the cottage garden or looking around at all our bits and bobs..I enjoy playing housewife at Shingle Cottage....


I always said this was 'our' cottage didn't i girls? Well all my friends out there reading this and who share Shingle Cottage With me and Steve are you happy with how she is turning out?

I still can't believe i live here!


 You see the flowers peeping out from behind the wall below in the right hand corner?  I'll show you this little part of the hallway next time you visit,you will come again won't you?


I'm going out to pick some flowers from the garden so it looks pretty for when Steve gets home tommorow...

This bunch was picked last week from the garden,it's lovely to be able to go out and pick your own bunch....We both picked out different plants that we liked when we were planting the garden and its lovely to see our different choices together in a vase....It's also lovely to see i picked all the pink ones ;)



BEEP BEEP!!! Oh girls look the bus is here, 'ALL ABOARD' shouted the driver as we said our goodbyes.....time flies when your having fun doesn't it?

If we are not in next time you visit just walk to the cliff top and look down we will most likely be on the beach,It's no good shouting we won't hear you for the waves...You can always wave or come down and join us,We will look out for you!

Come back soon now you know your always welcome....Goodbye girls!...safe journey home! Krissie shouted as the little bus turned the corner,She waved and waved until it was out of view.

'What a lovely day' she thought to herself as she closed the kitchen door and turned the key.......


Now then Beatrix what do you fancy for your tea?


Join me next time for more tales and goings on from our place and yours Shingle Cottage by the sea....
XxX

56 comments:

  1. Have you left anything pretty and floral in all of your land, it seems you have cornered the market on all the pretties, ceramic and fabric! I am still in love with your sink, it will not fit in my space, needs another hole for overflow I think it is called but thanks again for sending the information. OK, you said when he leaves on Mon. morning there you are at the kitchen table whilst he drives home? do you have two homes? Just wondering and yes nosey too!
    Those of us who love to play house and get a thrill out of seeing tea towels stacked to tidily are blessed indeed. To bad Wordsworth didn't get into tea towels and other delights. Your garden is just the best!!! Do you have neighbors around should you need to borrow a cup of sugar or something. What a glorious cottage by the sea. Donna, in California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna!
    If there is anything pretty left i wil sniff it out! Oh that's too bad about the sink,Steve is staying with family through the week,just the one cottage ;) Thank you i love our garden and i'm looking forward to next year when it will be more established,Yes lots of lovely neighbors x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love popping round to yours. It is so pretty and warm and cosy. I love all the floral lamps you have covered. Anything floral in my books is great.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      We must be reading the same book Rosezeeta,i love roses!
      Have a lovely weekend x

      Delete
  4. So nice to see you again! Such beautiful pictures of your home and garden!! I love all of your lovely pinks and florals! I really love your lamp and your lampshade that you made! I hope this time with Steve out doesn't last too long!! You both are adorable!! Yes, we have had a lovely summer! The heirloom tomatoes have been amazing with the unusual heat here in Santa Cruz county! The apples are being picked and there is a cool breeze rustling the leaves in the trees. Fall is definitely here and it is time for a cup of hot tea and soup on the stove to keep us warm! Hope to see you again soon! Cheers, Colette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Colette :)
      Lovely to hear about your Summer and mmm just picked tomatoes are just the best,i remeber eating my dads still warm from the sunshine.....You describe the arrival of fall so dreamily,We were out in the hedgerows last weekend picking blackberries,such a beautiful time of year.
      Take care and pop back soon xxx

      Delete
  5. It's so lovely sharing your adventures in your new home. It's so beautiful, I just love the pinks and greens and beautiful flowers. I live by the sea but can't seem to grow anything as the wind tends to blow it away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)
      I love pinks and greens so much,Especially pastel shades they are just so pretty together and make me think of Spring and new beginnings...We have a bit of wind burn from the sea early in the year but i feed everything up with miracle grow/tomato feed and it seems to give everything a good boost to recover,still learning here as to what grows and tolerates the winds,
      Enjoy your weekend xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh I love your house so much and it brings joy to my heart to hear you say you can't believe you live there. It is so awesome to love your home! I just love the look you have achieved--love all your dishes. Makes me want to do more pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandy! I can't believe i live here honest,I love with everything here and feel i have found my place on God's earth and i agree there is nothing better than loving the home you are in xxx

      Delete
  7. Hurray! You're back! And the photos are delish, so many lovely treasures on display. You must have been a busy bee getting all your goodies out an looking so pretty, Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Mary Anne :)
      Lovely to see you here! thank you,yes very busy but so much fun xxx

      Delete
  8. So glad you have posted pics of your kitchen...It looks sooooo pretty! I love it..can't wait to see the rest of Shingle Cottage.( garden is fab too!) best wishes Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue :)
      I am happy you like it and the rest is on it's way!
      Enjoy your weekend xxx

      Delete
  9. It's so lovely to reading you and seeing the wonderful photographs of Shingle Cottage. It does look like a dream come true, indeed! I'm looking forward to your next post, more photographs of your lovely home and am ready to join you for a walk on the beach :)
    Heidi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi i am so happy you are enjoying our journey! :)
      More pictures coming up and ok i'll get Beatrix and we'll get going to the beach :)
      Have a lovely weekend xxx

      Delete
  10. I LOVE it!! The colors are beautiful! I collect cottage stuff myself, I always wish I could jump in the pictures.... You are making a picture come to life.

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy Jo! I just love cottage pictures,they are so pretty to look at and wouldn't it be wonderful if we could jump in those pictures?
      Enjoy your weekend xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh, I have missed your posts so much. I love the cottage and what you have done and are doing. More pictures please

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog and Oh my goodness, your cottage is darling!!! I am in love with your darling little kitchen!!! Going to add myself as a follower and looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Victoria :)
      Thank you so much,Wishing you a lovely weekend xxx

      Delete
  13. I love the colors. I would have liked to have been on the bus, too. I get great joy out of reading about your cottage and how happy you are. It is truly wonderful to see others happy, enjoying their lives, accomplishing their dreams. The cottage is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ann,
      When i wrote that story i had you on that bus ;) It is wonderful to finally be living here and living our dream,I love Shingle Cottage and once Steve lives here full time it will be perfect.
      Have a lovely weekend xxx

      Delete
  14. Oh my! I forgot to mention the darling lamp shade, is there a tutorial in the future? Pretty please, with sugar on top? Anyway thanks again for all of the inspiration and loveliness, it's raining here in the Pacific Northwest and looking like a touch of Autumn. My sweet husband picked cat tails out of a ditch and presented me with a dozen huge sunflowers! So they are my first touch of fall. He chickens are entering their molt and look a little shabby but are still our beautiful to us. They really are sweet and so personable, and the most wonderful eggs. Thanks again, Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellooooo Mary :)
      For you yes of course a tutorial x
      Oh i am soo jealous,i love sunflowers and i am going to have them next year in our cottage garden,your husband sounds a sweetheart! We are thinking of chickens too so i might be calling on you for tips although i love ducks so we will see!
      Just got home from a cliff top walk the scenery was stunningly beautiful,I took lots of pictures for a blog post so you will be able to read all about it,Anyway it was so hot like a Summer's day!
      Enjoy your eggs xxx

      Delete

  15. Hi Just thought I would pop in and say hello... ( I found your lovely blog from Claire's at Thriftwood )
    Happy Weekend
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Thea,
      Thank you and lovely to meet you.
      XXX

      Delete
  16. Hello there I am so pleased to see this post first Downton for an hour then Shingle Cottage in all its loveliness. Where did you find those lacy cups ? are they old?
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catherine :)
      Thank you! Wasn't Downton wonderful? we were snuggled up here watching with apple crumble and custard....The lacey tea cups are vintagey/old by Royal Albert and the pattern is called 'True Love'...I can't remember were i got mine from its so long ago but i have seen them on Ebay and Etsy,
      x

      Delete
  17. Oh K, it looks heavenly, so romantic, with all the pale pinks,blues and whites, touches of vintage that make me think I'm looking at an old established cottage, but then I see touches of modern mugs with polka dots ....all very delightful! Hope to see more of the cottage in the coming weeks. Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sharon :)
      Ahh thank you so much! so happy you like it...I am running out of places to hang and pop things on in the kitchen,I shal have to stop soon ;)
      Wishing you a lovely week xxx

      Delete
  18. Your cottage is absolutely lovely. I can't wait to see the rest. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh... that was so cute. Your little cottage is like a perfect dream house to me. It's so so charming, i just can't believe it. And, your garden!!! Just look at it! The flowers, the picket fence, the house and the beach... all too wonderful...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy :)
      Thank you! i am really loving being able to pick my own flowers from the garden,i ordered some more seeds yesterday for next year xxxx

      Delete
  20. HOORAY!! I check your page everyday to see if you've posted and today was a GOOD day,I adore your kitchen it's sooo tastefully done,you are one very lucky woman.Don't be too long doing another post,or 10!!! Very best wishes to you and your very tolerant hubby!!All that girly stuff!! ttfn Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pam!
      Thank you! i promise i won't leave it too long ;)
      I'm really lucky in that Steve loves everything i have done so far,he likes the cottage cozy look and i always say 'is this too much?' or 'is this too girly?' and he says 'no its lovely and cottagey' phew he's a keeper isn't he Pam? :)
      Hope your well xxxx

      Delete
  21. You have made such a pretty cottage, I look forward to seeing more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, I am hopelessly in love with your cottage. Your lovely home is exactly how I envision a proper cottage to look and feel. I live in a colonial in Connecticut, but am looking forward to the day when we can purchase a sweet cottage of our own. Thank you so much for sharing your story and photos - your blog posts make my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lala!
      I am so happy you enjoy our blog and thank you for such a lovely comment xxx

      Delete
  23. Hello Krissie,

    I love everything about your cottage. Your kitchen is absolutely adorable!!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia!!! :)
      Thank you!! i love my cottage and its so lovely you feel the same xxx

      Delete
  24. Replies
    1. Oh good i am glad,that's lovely!Thank you Lisa!! :) x

      Delete
  25. Hello. ... Just came across your blog. Love everything! You have a gift of decor. I will visit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Shingle Cottage Marcia :) and thank you x

      Delete
  26. WOW WOW WOW!! I have been away for such a long time and the first thing that entered my head was did she manage to complete the cottage? and look how pretty it has turned out. You have inspired me to make a lamp shade now. I cant wait to catch up on your blog you have done a wonderful job you two should be so proud. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinky!!! Where have you been?
      So lovely to see you here :) Thank you so much! xxx

      Delete
  27. Hello, Today is a GOOD day!! I somehow found your blog again after looking at Annie Sloan painted items. I was sad when you suddenly stopped posting on your old blog as it was one of my favourites. I live close to the Ferring Coast, in West Sussex and your cottage is similar to many here along the coastal walk. I love what you both have done to your cottage so much. In my opinion you have found the perfect balance of cottage chic charm - no wonder you are so happy there. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home transformation with us.
    Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christine :)
      Welcome aboard! Ah i am so glad you found your way back to our blog,Thank you so much for such a lovely comment xxxx

      Delete
  28. Had to spend two hours searching for your blog. I'd forgotten the name of the blog but not the on-going story of your renovation of Shingle Cottage. I'm supposed to still be receiving your posts by email, but not had any in a long time.
    It looks like you are about settled, barring Steve's permanent presence. Is the rabbit still in the garden? The garden looks stupendous, btw.
    You must be very happy. What's next for you?
    Mary in North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary :)
      I have been absent from blogging a while i'm afraid,longer than i thought! I did see the rabbit about two weeks ago early one morning so yes he is still around!
      We are going to have a rest over Christmas and then back to work outside and there has been talk of ducks and new hedging to be planted,there are windows to be replaced and oh you will see we may be a while ;)
      xxx

      Delete
  29. Hi thank you for visiting my blog Marcia's Cottage by the Sea, and leaving such a sweet comment. I am really sorry it took so long to reply. Your cottage is adorable! I love everything. We have simpilar decor tastes. Hope to see you soon. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x