Monday, 10 February 2014

Little Cottage Hallway

hello again :)

Are you well? Did you have a lovely weekend?

I had a wonderful weekend with Steve and we have been plotting what we are going to be getting up to next here at Shingle Cottage ...... We have ordered four fruit tree's,A braeburn Apple,Victoria Plum, A Stella Cherry and a conference pear,We already have two apple trees and a pear so i guess we are going to have mini fruit orchard.

I am dreaming  in a few years time that i will be baking apple pie,cherry pie,making chutney and apple sauce..Well this is one dream i know will come true,the thing i find with dreams is you just have give them a push and start them,We shall plant the trees and then get on with finishing  Shingle Cottage and in a few years when everything is where it is supposed to be the trees will be fruiting and the dream will be here.

It has been very cold lately although we have had some wonderful sunny days and yesterday we sat in the kitchen with boiled eggs and soldiers as we chatted away looking out of the window at the garden.



We have wanted to get out and potter in the garden but everything is sleeping..that is apart from the delphiniums and lupins,there are tiny leaves begin to push through the earth,I can't wait for our cottage garden to feel the sunshine and warmer days ahead and then they will arise from the earth as if on command straight as arrows and burst into colour.



Oh yes i remember the colour and the bees and butterflies....Ahhh Spring is on it's way! snowdrops and daffodils are peeping through in the cottage garden,It won't be long now.


On a few really cold mornings last week i hurried out of bed carrying Beatrix straight into the front room and piled up the kindle and lit the open fire,i then wrapped her in a feather duvet on the sofa and popped the kettle on.

I made a cup of tea and a hot water bottle,the hot water bottle i placed under the duvet so Beatrix had under duvet heating.

You can see below how this looked ;)


After half an hour had passed she would slide out but still keep her tummy close to the heat,it seems i have started a new tradition as she sits here every morning now waiting for her hot water bottle,not that i mind at all but it is funny none the less. 


Talking of the kitchen,Do you remember a few posts ago i said i would show you the hallway and the little space between the front room and kitchen door where a bunch of flowers you can just see at the bottom of this picture below on the right sits?

Well just above the flowers you can see a blue green line which is the edge of a mirror....



This blue green mirror!

So this is my tiny end of the hall of of three foot steps from front room to kitchen :) 

The brass ships oil lamp is Steve's and it tilts and turns so its always straight while on the sea,i haven't seen it tilt since he hung it which i think is a good thing ;)


I wanted something under the mirror as it looked so bare to me but not much would fit,i went up to the attic and hunted around and found an old dark wood Victorian plant stand that fit perfectly and gave it a coat of white paint,i added a tin bird house that i painted white and pale pink and up in the top cupboard i found a dark grey pot rabbit and i painted her pale pink too!

The bunny sits on the floor underneath the legs and the bird house just fit on the rungs in the middle,things were looking much better.


A green enamel jug and some faux flowers for colour and 'bringing the outside in' sits on top!


I love greens and pinks and it ties in with the colours i used at the other end of the hall which you can see in the reflection above and here below..



In between the two mirrors i squeezed a settle bench and dressed it in green and pink floral cushions...Steve hung a sign we had painted a few years ago above the front room door.


   'Friends And Family Gather Here'.....Perfect i think.....Makes me smile when i come through from the kitchen with a tray of hot tea and biscuits...

The view through the door you haven't seen yet have you? i shall have to share this with you soon i think ;)


I love how Steve's oil lamp reflects twice with it being so close to the mirror and seeing floral wallpaper twice is always a good thing too!



So that's our little hall and all the little bits and bobs that we brought with us when we moved to our Shingle Cottage that have now found somewhere to live just like us.


I did like our hallway before and there is a lot to be said for space....


But i love cottage cozy :)



I intend to fill Shingle Cottage with pretty bits and pieces all my days long!

Will you join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage?

XxX

41 comments:

  1. Hi Krissie. This is Marian . Loved your blog today. You have such a knack of putting things together. It is like the things you have collected over the years knew where their new home would be and were just waiting for you to set them in their place. Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marian :)
      Thank you and do you know Steve say's that all the time,that every little thing is finding a home like it has known it would live here eventually,maybe it's true? i would love that with me being a romantic and a daydreamer xxx

      Delete
  2. I love seeing what you do with your pretty cottage and am glad to see you aren't affected by the flooding in England I have heard about from friends there.

    Your little dog is so cute with her hot water bottle. I actually thought about fixing one for me as it is chilly here in Florida this morning. Of course, chilly to us is not what chilly is to most of the world. ;-).

    Love your petty mirror and the way it reflects the brass lantern and the floral wallpaper. So pretty! That blue green color is one of my very favorites.

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon from England Sheila ;)
    Thank you and yes thankfully we are safe here at the moment we are North of where it is really bad,poor homes and those people its heart breaking.
    I would take your chilly any day of the week :) the sun is shining now and it is a beautiful day,We love that colour too in fact we are painting the ginger bread trim and French doors in it come warmer days,the colour we are going to use is the same one that is on the mirror and it is called 'green blue' by Farrow & Ball just in case you wanted to know,Have a beautiful day xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning! Well, it's later for you now with our time difference! I live in a beautiful part of Northern Michigan in the US, where we have gathered up about 4 or 5 ft of snow over the winter. I am dreaming more and more of being out in my garden and it was wonderful to see the photo of your garden when it was in full bloom! Is Beatrix a Bichon Frise? Our sweet Lily was a Bichon, what sweet little doggies they are and I LOVE the little tradition you've started with the hot water bottle and the comforter xo Your cottage is so adorable and it is wonderful that your hubby loves it as well. My hubby is dreaming of a log cabin in the woods...while I dream of a sweet cozy country cottage near enough to Lake Michigan so I can hear the waves crash on the shore and where I can feel the warmth of the sun! I so loved reading your posting this morning, I love how you are putting it all together a bit and a piece at a time! Thank you for sharing! Hugs, Teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it's time for afternoon tea here :) Oh my that is a lot of snow! We have escaped it so far but there is still time for it come...Yes Beatrix is a Bichon Frise she has made the wonderful little friend i could have ever wished for.Thank you so much for your kind comments on our cottage,Your dream sounds lovely,i hope it comes true,We can hear the waves on the shore in the garden and it so relaxing,Maybe one day we will listen to them at the same time? Have a lovely day xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how you do it. You make decorating look so easy, so second nature. We are under layers of snow with more on the way. Spring comes to England sooner--we are weeks away. I, too, have dreams of peach pie, fresh apple sauce, and red cherries; however, between the early spring freezes, birds, and pests, delicious home grown fruit remains a dream here, too. But you must dream and plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann :)
      You are under snow over there and we are under water over here,well thankfully not the cottage,the weather is so crazy right now. oh they are things i'm going to have to look out for too then it seems once the orchard is planted!
      Have a great day xxx

      Delete
  7. Hello Mrs S.C a beautiful post to match your beautiful hall way. I so love the freshness of all the pastel colours with the white walls . The lovely flowers and the mirrors just finish it off Perfecj
    As for little B with her hot water bottle it did make me chuckle .
    Looking forward to your next post and a look round shingle cottage. X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mrs S.D how lovely of you to drop by :)
      Thank you so much,i love pastels they are so cheery looking,She is a one that girl isn't she hehe
      I'm hoping my next post won't be too long away xxx

      Delete
  8. Your little cottage is darling. I love your little fur ball, reminds me of mine. Your white hallway is divine. I liked it empty but then as you begin adding tiny pieces here and there it is too cute! I have the perfect chippy mint bench (much narrower, the kind that would go with a picnic table) that would look adorable in your tiny white hallway. I look forward to watching your trees grow. We are planting trees this spring too...redwoods and birch for shade. It gets very hot here in summer. Now for some tea. xxo Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerrie :)
      Thank you! Oh i love your sweet Bella Bleu..Your bench sounds beautiful! I love birch trees too,i am excited for having trees and all the wildlife they will bring xxx

      Delete
  9. Your little cottage is truly a dream! That garden...just wow!!! Can I come back in my next life as your dog please:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria :) i can't wait to see the garden this year as the plants should be more established,that picture was their first year and yYes of course hehe i'll make you up a hot water bottle ;) xx

      Delete
  10. I love your home and what you did in the hallway! It's all so pretty and very homey. I too love pink and green together, it's a wonderful colour combination. Your little Beatrice is just adorable! Stay warm.. we are sweltering here in Australia.. Maryann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maryann :) i am so glad you like those colours too! We are cuddled up near the fire and yes Beatrix is on a hot water bottle again! xxx

      Delete
  11. Your hallway is so pretty--I just love it and the mirrors add so much! I adore that wallpaper--have I asked you before where you got it? I am looking for some pretty wallpaper. My previous house was wallpapered head to toe--I swore I would never wallpaper again--but now I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy :)
      The paper is Sanderson and its called 'pemberley'...i used to have an all white house and loved it so much but i the florals started creeping in and i just love them xxx

      Delete
  12. Really looks beautiful. I think it's elegant as well as cosy. The colours are gorgeous. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ciao,qui con la traduzione riesco a capire!La tua casa mi piace tanto,anch'io amo le tazze,il rosa,l'azzurro e il romantico!Adoro pizzi,merletti e vintage!Che peccato che non ti ho trovata prima,io sono tre anni che ho il blog,su facebbok ci sono da un mese!Ciao contenta di seguirti,baci,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a treat it is when your email comes in, I just drift away in joy as I visit your next room and love the wee glimpses of other areas too.
    I think I have asked before but can you tell me (again) what your floral wallpaper is called and who makes it, I am looking for just this style and having no luck, and I would also like to find curtains of a similar floral. Love your home ! Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Mary that is so lovely of you to say,yes the wallpaper is by Sanderson and the pattern is called Pemberley...I watched Charlotte's Webb the movie the other night and i was looking at this bedroom thinking oooh its gorgeous and then i thought oooh that's our wallpaper haha i want it in my bedroom now too ;) hope everything is good in your world xxx

      Delete
  15. I always check Shingle Cottage blog for any new updates and was thrilled to see your photo's,just lovely!!I couldn't get all the photos,not sure why,maybe it 's the weather!! Keep warm and cosy and I eagerly await future pictures.Kind Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Pam :)
    Thank you! i'm not sure why all our pictures didn't show? maybe refresh the page and see if they pop up.
    The fire is burning this morning (Friday) they say we are in for it again,fingers crossed all be well,
    Have a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just when I think your beautiful home can't get any better, you show us more eye candy - you little tease you :) I spotted your tall clock and was wondering if you had painted it that colour yourself, as I have seen similar ones for sale but in white. I am now thinking maybe I could paint one myself . I love what you have done with your hallway - its just perfect. You should seriously charge people to come and tour your home, I would be at the front of the queue... Hope you are surviving this dreadful weather. Its seriously atrocious here on the Sussex coast right now!! Take care Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Thank you Christine :)
      Yes i did paint my clock with Annie Sloan chalk paint,If you type into google 'White Bergere Clock and click on images you will easily find it and yes you could paint one yourself.Ah thank you i do love my hallway now it has all its bits and pieces in place...How much should we charge? in muffins and biscuits i think don't you? ;) We have been very lucky on the weather front,Have a lovely week xxx

      Delete
  18. Hello! I am so glad I found you on Facebook through Christie Repasy! And so happy to have found your blog as a result of that! I adore vintage cottage style homes and yours is just so dreamy!! I could gaze upon your home photos all day! Your hallway looks extra pretty and extra cozy now! And your kitchen....oh dear! I'm in love with your kitchen! So pretty and cozy! I love the floral fabric curtain, the floral dishes, the sweet charming little lamp...everything is just so lovely and so homey! I also love the sweet little embroidered cushions you create. They are wonderful! Michelle xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle :)
      Thank you so much for all the lovely things you have said about our cottage,the kitchen curtain fabric is called 'Trellis Rose' and it is by Laura Ashley if you ever want to look out for it,Thank you i am having so much making up my little pillows,wishing you a lovely week xxx

      Delete
  19. Hi K, lovely to see the updates on your lovely cottage. You must be so proud after all the work you and Steve have put into it. Your hallway looks lovely - as does eveything else! I've been without a laptop for a few weeks and have only just been able to read my fav blogs! Your cottage garden is looking lovely, just how I like it, a rior beautiful wild blooms! So beautiful! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sharon :)
      Ah thank you,yes we love it so far,still lots to do but really happy with how it is all taking shape....Without a laptop???? oh no how did you survive! my worst nightmare ;) i can't wait to see the garden this year as everything will be established which will mean more flowers,have a beautiful week xxx

      Delete
  20. Hi,

    I'm wondering about that amazing red clock. Is it antique, and where did it come from?

    Thanks!

    Cherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherry,
      No its not an antique,its a very affordable reproduction,You can find it if you type white bergere grandfather clock into google and click on images,it comes in antique white but i painted mine with Annie Sloan chalk paint x

      Delete
  21. Ahh...it is so lovely in your sweet home. I just wandered in today on a link from another blog. I know what I will be doing for the rest of the afternoon :^)
    Too funny about the dog...animals have their little schedules and heaven help the human who doesn't notice the time. We have a kitty who is fairly lazy.....until it's feeding time and she says " jump to it old lady" :^)
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I just love what you have done with your cottage. It is so pretty, you have my favorite colors, pink and pale green. Love your garden, so pretty. What a happy home you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  23. such pretty pics and love love love the sweet pup pics

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x