Monday, 14 September 2015

High Summer In The Cottage Garden

Hello again,

Beatrix is patiently waiting for you by the garden gate to show you the delphiniums and the cottage garden in high Summer....


With all the early rainfall we had had here in England the delphiniums were off to a very good start and bloomed more flower stems than ever before...


I love blues and purples in a cottage garden....


And of course pinks too and even more so if they are hollyhocks and roses!


High Summer and blooms are blooming....


The rose campion i grew on from tiny seedlings have flowered and flowered and are still going strong today,my Dad used to grow this so it is a familiar friendly face for me..


I wish you could smell the roses....


Lovely ruffled petals of lavender and pink...


Lots of buds ready to burst and flower stems reaching for the sky...


Foxgloves in peachy pink with speckled throats,this was my favourite and i have gathered a little paper bag full of seeds....


Moss rose with it's glowing pink cups and open ruffled blooms revealing a yellow eye...


Roses,roses everywhere....


I will be planting more roses this Autumn to fill in the gaps and add perfume while moving a few plants around here and there..


Some more white delphiniums may be on the shopping list too,they glow at dusk...

And look lovely against Summer blue skies...


I may add some more of my favourite delphinium with it's sooty dark eye reminding me of old embroideries.....


We have old fashioned pinks growing on in pots on the south side of the cottage,this one called 'Doris' is next to the gate in the cottage garden and it's spicey perfume greets you as you come in the gate....


We like perfume in our  cottage garden and roses know how to do this so well...


They can perfume my kitchen window ledge inside too as i wash the dishes and look out onto the cottage garden....


Hollyhocks and baskets of flowers....


Sweetpeas in lovely shades of white,blue,lilacs and deep velvet burgundy and their perfume wafting on the breeze....


The dog daisies lit up the garden when they burst into bloom and put on quite the show....


Well the days are getting shorter and the nights are drawing in now but we did just have a lovely warm sunny weekend out and about that i shall soon tell you all about....

Have a lovely week and  and will you join us next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage?

XxX

17 comments:

  1. Hi K, I'm blogging on my lunch break....lovely photos of such a beautiful garden, it looks so well established almost like it's been there for years and years...so very pretty....enjoy your week. Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is amazing! I'm thinking you live in California. We are having a foretaste of fall in Colorado. Summer went so fast. I look forward to your lovely garden in all seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are stunning. Very beautiful pictures
    Hugs
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those delphiniums are truly magnificent!!!! I have never achieved blooms such as yours in 30 years of gardening. Your garden is just so beautiful and its obvious that your plants enjoy living by the sea as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, thanks for the beautiful pictures. Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
  6. My old dad must have missed english gardens, he spent so much time on his...but nothing can match what you have done in your cottage garden. It must be the sea air and the angle of the sun....LOL
    My garden has gone to wrack and ruin, and the same plants you have doing so well are here overcome with native plants and nothing but a complete clean out will help mine. Even then, mine will never be as gorgeous as yours!!!! How are your knees, btw? Or do you hire out the heavy work? Oh, to retire on the coast of home........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I've really enjoyed reading your latest posts, your pics are beautiful, they have brightened up a dreary evening here! September already, I do like this time of year though, lighting candles, leaves falling, fire glowing and keeping cosy and snug! Oh and Christmas is just around the corner, gosh! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY GOSH!!! Look at your garden! I can't believe what a wonderland it is! Those delphiniums are unbelievable! ...and you know i love the peachy pink foxglove. That blue delphinium with the black eyes is the most amazing shade of blue. Your garden is incredible!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,I cannot think of suitable words to describe your beautiful garden,thankyou soooo much for sharing with us.Kind regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in awe of your cottage gardens. They amaze me...just how lush and abundant the flowers are in such a short amount of time. It seems like you it was just yesterday that you moved in! I remember what your yard looked like before...there was nothing, right? Not one plant, in my memory. You have done all of this...planted, watered, cultivated... and now you are reaping the rewards of all your hard work. Truly beautiful!!!!! I stand under our redwoods, birch, and maple trees that we planted as tiny twigs in awe of how much they have grown. We began our gardens from a dirt plot too...there was nothing but dirt when we moved in because our home was new. Gardening is a beautiful, rewarding endeavor. I have delighted in seeing your gardens grow. xo Kerrie PS and Beatrix makes it look like a storybook life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful! I think I'd be out there all day just taking in that beautiful view!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only is your green thumb alive and V.E.R.Y WELL...your photography is amazing! Makes we wish I could be standing at your gate, drinking in the beauty and fragrances! Is there anything you can't do?!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not only is your green thumb alive and V.E.R.Y WELL...your photography is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!! makes me wish I could be standing at the gate, drinking in the beauty and fragrances! Is there anything you can't do?!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! Thank-you so much for sharing. It's the English cottage garden that everyone dreams about!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so in awe of you wonderful garden. The plants all look so healthy and rich. It truly is a beautiful garden and should be written up the finest garden magazine for it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely adore your garden! Fox gloves, hollyhocks and lupines and delphiniums are at the top of my passion list - ;us roses of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bernideen :) thank you for your kind words,oh yes i love all of those too,i am so looking forward to Spring and feeling the earth between my fingers,have a lovely day x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x