Thursday, 10 November 2016

Christmas Cake

All across Yorkshire there's huffing and puffing as wooden spoons battle to beat sugar into butter,it's that time of year when our traditions and recipes of old are warmly welcomed into our homes, round and round the bowl we go with the little breaks inbetween to rest our weary wrists,flour,sticky syrup,eggs and tablespoons of cold tea wait to be added to the mixture along with bowls or rich dark fruits and spices and glossy glace cherries.


The  oven has warmed the kitchen and O Holy Night rings out in the back ground 'Fall on your knee's oh hear the angels voices'....the lovely rich brown mixture is spooned into the waiting tins and popped into the warm oven for two and a half hours while the pots and bowls are washed up in warm soapy water,tommorow while shopping I will pop a bottle of sherry into my basket so our Christmas cakes can be pricked and soaked in the run up to Christmas and a little glass might be enjoyed by the fireside as the evening light begins to fade.

I hope you are all well and looking forward to your weekend,i hope it is kind to you what ever you may be up to? maybe be baking a Christmas Cake?

Will you join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage?

XxX


10 comments:

  1. Che bello fare dolci nella calda atmosfera romantica dell'autunno!Buon fine settimana a te!Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Rosetta è stato bello e accogliente, non vedo l'ora di assaggiare la torta, avere un buon fine settimana xx

      Delete
  2. Your cake looks so yummy! Wonderful and fairy atmosphere as usual
    HUgs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alessandra,i am so looking forward to tasting a slice! wishing you a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  3. Your cake looks delicious,will you post a picture later when it has been iced?Kind regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgina, yes I will,i love marzipan and icing,hope all is well with you have a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  4. Oh your story reminds me of my childhood when my mother or grandmother used to make the Christmas cakes and pudding. When my children came along my sister-in-law gave us a cake and pudding each year as a gift and I have not made a cake for years. Maybe this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made a Christmas cake as a gift for my friends Pieta I love home baked gifts,lovely memories you have maybe you should bake one for old times? it smells so lovely while baking,have a wonderful weekend xxx

      Delete
  5. Your cake looks delicious! Last year mine turned out so lovely - time to get busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mental images you inspire with your description and photographs...my grandmother's old mixing bowl is used to make the Christmas cake and shortbread cookies that are an integral part of Christmas baking. The memories of her baking at this magical time of year are a special part of the season and come wafting back when the delicious scent of baking cake fill the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x