Tuesday, 29 November 2016

Feeling Christmassy

Bbbrrrr it was so cold this morning,the weather forecast had said the temperature would drop rapidly during night and into the early hours and we woke up to clear blue skies...


And a frost sparkling over the roof tops and our foxgloves had a dusting of what looked like icing sugar on a mince pie..


Inside it's warm and cosy with the coal fire burning and we have nothing to go out for,the farthest we will roam today will be to the bird table to feed our feathered friends..


Last weekend we were up early as there was a Christmas fair being held in the church hall down in town,it is organised by a local charity shop who have tables groaning with Christmas baubles,tinsel,candle holders,fairy lights,Christmas Trees,stockings,santa hats,tea and cakes are on offer and a tombola with prizes galore.

I have been so excited to go for weeks,here are a few of my Christmas purchases,

I rummaged under tables in big boxes with another lady who was as excited as me,so much fun and took me way back to school jumble sales were me and my sister would search for something lovely for Mum..i managed to find a selection of old glass baubles..

Some in traditional  red,gold and green and an embroidered  linen table cloth with bells and poinsettia..


Some in a more shabby palette of rose pink,silver,pale blue and soft gold with an other embroidered table cloth this time with burning candles and a pretty pink bow...


A box full of Christmas picks in a cheery box covered in Santa's little helpers...



Lovely glass baubles in cranberry red,Christmas red and gold,their were rosey red apples and fir cones and glossy berries all on wire and a welcome collection to my sewing room to be used in my creations...


I found two little knitted boots just the right size for bags of snacks and a new squeaky toy...


For a little someone shhhhhh Beatrix is always listening and not just for a crisp packet rustling..
.

After filling my shopping bag and chatting with some of the volunteers i have made friends with i made my way home full of festive cheer....i called into my local flower shop were i buy Beatrix's biscuits and potted flowers through the year and i  treated myself to a Christmassy red cyclamen...


,
And next door in the charity shop i found these two lovely pink crocheted coat hangers,i have a small collection of these and can never pass them by so was pleased to find them waiting for me,they make me think of childhood too and Mum has always loved them and padded flower covered hangers..


Onto the newsagents to look for Christmas cards for close friends and family and look what i found sitting up on the shelf? the Christmas edition of 'Down Your Way' isn't it a lovely cover with a cheery Santa Clause smiling away?
It's a lovely little monthly magazine full of Yorkshire memories with lovely old pictures and stories inside..


The nights are drawing in so early now and i just stopped for a minute so i could put a shovel full of coal on the fire,have to keep the home fires burning while Jack Frost's about!


I'm going to pull the curtains to and light the lamps and then i am going to snuggle up on the sofa with Beatrix and read all about the olden days and Christmas time in Yorkshire,would you like to join us? i can soon make another cup of tea,help yourself to a piece of chocolate won't you? do you take one lump or two?....

I hope all is well 'Down Your Way' and that you are cosy and warm and looking forward to Christmas and all the joy it brings.

Will you join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage?

XxX

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always. You bought some lovely items. I really miss a good jumble sale. We too used to rummage for items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue,Jumble sales were so much fun and do you remember everything was for pennies too? they didn't call them the good old days for nothing did they,have a wonderful week xxx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Bernideen wishing you a lovely week x

      Delete
  3. I so enjoyed your post! Your home looks extra cozy with the coal fire burning, and you found some charming things at the jumble sale. 'Tis the season to decorate and be merry!

    Have a great week!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, the coal fire is such a blessing as we have another bitterly cold morning here on the cliff top,i so love the word 'tis' and I so agree lets 'Deck the halls!' have a wonderful week xxx

      Delete
  4. What a fun day you had and such lovely treasures. Oh how I would love to join you for a cup of tea in your sweet, snug cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lala, it's lovely that you can stop by for a virtual cup of tea,wishing you a wonderful week xxx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful finds! Always very romantic pictures, thanks for sharing
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alessandra,wishing you a wonderful weekend xx

      Delete
  6. OH! Joy upon Joy reading your most fantastic day out, I will be by soon for that cuppa and if you dont mind I'll bring my slippers, a treat for Beatrix and a log for the fire. You have discribed my most perfect day, I get so excited when my local church puts out their banner to say there's a coffee morning soon, their tables are full of goodies, home made scones, jams and fruit cakes. But I would love to have come to your old fashioned sale any day. I love the hangers above all Ta-Ta. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary,i am so glad you feel the same way,i was counting down the days and couldn't wait. There is an antique and collectors fair locally this weekend which we are going to,i hope it is Christmassy! don't forget your slippers the kettle is on toodle oo xxx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x