Tuesday, 21 February 2017

Snowdrops



Although we have had some very frosty mornings the last few weeks we have also had lots of lovely sunshine and mild temperatures which has meant the pottering in the gardens has begun and the joy of the snowdrops opening...

When we first arrived at Shingle Cottage there was a large square of snowdrops that I dug up and divided, there were hundreds and hundreds of tiny white bulbs hidden under the soil..

I dug little pockets and sprinkled them under our four fruit tree's we had planted on the south side of the cottage, hoping in years to come to have a carpet of white to look at from the windows.. We have done a lot of work in our rose garden the last few years and if you missed it you can read how it started to take shape by clicking
here  as you can see below the bluebells and daffodils that I moved back then have taken and are growing happily away..

Outside the window I planted little white bulbs all along the curve of the box hedge many are still in bud...

I picked a little bunch to bring into the cottage after pottering about..

They are such beautiful little flowers and you don't get to see them when looking down on them from above so I always like to bring some inside...

I have seen catkins and snowdrops and now for the violets,i have planted some along the edge of the fruit tree's so fingers crossed they will flower soon..


I have a basket inside with little yellow daffodils and violets both are in pots and will be planted out into the rose garden when they have finished flowering for next Spring..

I bought this double primula and purple crocus last year and these are now starting to flower outside..

I like to have flowers in the kitchen at this time of year,well actually all through the year but a bunch of daffodils can make the Winter months a little more cheery, little pots of bulbs from last year all growing in the borders in the garden now,i like building my Spring bulbs in this way little pots for a pound or two and they often last longer than a bunch of flowers on the window ledge and then you get to enjoy them year after year in the garden.

More little bulbs from last year that are now coming up in the garden.

It's nice to make our gardens sweeter as well as our  homes isn't it?

When my Mum came to visit at the end of last Summer she very kindly bought me lots of daffodil bulbs which was sweet of her and I bought a few bags of muscari and tete a tete daffodils along with some anemone bulbs too, I noticed this week that they are all coming up along the borders and in the urns..  i'm looking forward to all the colourful little heads bobbing on the breeze..


Lovely bright Spring sunshine is just starting to warm the cottage garden on the east side of the cottage and it's where I have my little vase of snowdrops,daffodils and crocus so I can see them as I wash the dishes..

These two love birds (wood pigeons) have started building a nest in the gutter outside our bedroom window, they have nested their the last two years and I love to hear their coo's early in the morning. they stay with us all Winter long and I can't fill the table with seed quick enough,i even buy them their own special pigeon mix from the little shop in town where I buy my pots of bulbs...

Lots of new life and hope to look forward to in the gardens this month, the weather report has said we are in for a Wintery weekend so it's a good job we have the coal shed nicely stocked as it sounds like we are going to be keeping the home fires burning a little longer..


I have some stitching waiting for me so I best get on but can I ask do you have snowdrops blooming in your corner of the world? I would love to know....

Will you join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage?

XxX

20 comments:

  1. It's a lovely time of year! There are no blooms in our garden just yet, but snowdrops are popping up. The daffodils can't be far behind. I loved the views of your kitchen - so pretty and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Pondside,i have been so looking forward to Spring arriving, I hope you have little white drops soon, a friend told me that you are supposed to gently ring the first one you see of the year as it brings good luck, thank you so much more kitchen views coming soon,have a wonderful day xx

      Delete
  2. I love looking at pictures of your spring bulbs and all the beautiful snowdrops. After such a hot summer here in Oz I am looking forward to autumn. To me it's the best time of the year here in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Pieta, oh to have a hot Summer,well not too hot but at this time of year it's a lovely thought to look forward to, isn't it funny that we sleep under the very same sky yet as all goes to sleep in your garden ours starts to wake up? have a wonderful day xxx

      Delete
  3. lOVE YOUR FLOWERS AND THE WAYS YOU DISPLAYED THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krissie your pictures are a Delight! A few tiny green leaves on a clematis, a group of daffodils and that's about all here for Spring, we even might have some snow next week. Every time you mention your coal shed I am again reminded of the aroma of a coal Fire, Love it. Any painting projects in the Works? Thank you so much for gifting us with your lovely garden and home.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Mary, there is talk of snow here this weekend too, oh do you know a lady that Steve knows gave him a bag of brickets from Ireland they smell wonderful but like you the waft of a coal fire when I walk to town it's just dreamy... oh yes painting projects that are finished and photographed are to be blogged and there are going to be some goings on in the kitchen this weekend with a saw and a dining table!,stay tuned ;) wishing you a blessed day my friend xxx

      Delete
  5. πŸ’•πŸŒΈπŸ’•Oh your posts really do make me smile and it's brightened what is a rather wet blustery day here in the Midlands! Just simply gorgeous!πŸ’•πŸŒΈπŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Louise, thank you! the sun is shining here on the cliff top but we had really strong gales last night that made it hard to sleep, wishing you a wonderful day ahead and have told the sun to shine on the midlands (fingers crossed) xxx

      Delete
  6. I too have sweet little snowdrops popping up to say hello and I see my bulbs standing out of the cold ground ready to bust with colour. Spring may still be a bit away but we can see it just around the corner. As usual you picture are lovely.
    On another note I had to let you know that I found out yesterday my 7 rolls of your beautiful Sanderson wallpaper are on their way. I can't wait to own them. Thank you for all your help there. All the best. Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary I am so happy to read that your rosey Sanderson wallpaper is on it's way! I hope you will love it as much as I do,so exciting.... thank you for your kind words, I have one teeny tiny tete a tete daffodil out today in the garden along with a lone golden crocus, enjoy your snowdrops and have a wonderful day xxx

      Delete
  7. Your snowdrops are beautiful. I love all of your flowers. I fell in love with the picture of your kitchen. It's so cozy and shabby chic
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alessandra, you are so kind,i'm happy you like everything,wishing you a wonderful day xx

      Delete
  8. I love snowdrops! I buried some bulbs years ago, but they never bloomed... Except this year, because we had a colder winter than usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't know they needed a cold Winter to bloom Magali maybe that's why they seem to be so lovely this year in England as we had snow and hard frosts, enjoy your snowdrops and have a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  9. Those birds are so beautiful!! We don't have those here in the states, as far as I know. Have they had any babies? How wonderful that they nest right outside your window. xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy,they are lovely gentle birds, no babies yet but nest building,last year they had two chicks which grew up and left home, yes it's lovely as you can hear the cooing in the morning and evening xx

      Delete
  10. I miss you on Facebook....did you leave? Anyway, I got to thinking about you and wondered what you were up to in your little corner of the world at Shingle Cottage. Your flowers are just beautiful. Love reading your posts and having a peek inside your sweet cottage. Take care and happy spring. xoxo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Lisa, yes I did leave Facebook, I will be blogging from now on and hopefully on a regular basis, thank you I hope the Spring has arrived in your corner of the world,thank you for your kind words and you take good care too xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x