Sunday, 12 November 2017

Remembrance Sunday



Today England remembers those that fought and died so that we may live, the greatest sacrifice that one can  give and we shall never forget them.


Poppies are proudly worn and are seen on Winter coats all around town, I bought a red  poppy and a lovely little centenary pin to wear with pride.... the world war embroidered sweetheart handkerchief i found earlier this year in a charity shop  in town and I wondered as I held it in my hand if the lady who had saved it all these years had sadly passed away.


My friend popped across yesterday with a cheddar cheese shaped like a poppy  wrapped in red wax, she had bought one for herself and thought Steve and I would like one too, she is a good and thoughtful friend, proceeds  go to the Royal British Legion.


While flicking through boxes and boxes of old photographs in the church hall earlier in the year I came across this family photograph and couldn't take my eyes of the young man in uniform , on getting home and turning over the photograph I read the words Eric drowned in the Mediterranean  w.w.2 and I made a promise to Eric that I would remember him on remembrance Sunday.

In the middle of the photograph stand Arthur and Renie and the pretty young lady on the left is known as Our dear Nellie.... how devastated they must have been to hear the news of Eric, may he rest in peace.

My Mother and my Great Auntie Francis always called those that fought 'Our lads' and looking at Eric's young face we see he is just a lad and should have had his whole life in front of him.


In the bow window of our cottage the little table is dressed in an old embroidered poppy tablecloth and soon I will serve Sunday lunch for Steve and there will be  a bowl full for Beatrix as she loves Yorkshire puddings.

They shall not grow old, as we grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

Amen



We are going to be watching Songs Of Praise at twenty past four this afternoon and Countryfile at twenty past six and both are remembering the fallen, Bless them all.

I hope your Sunday has been a peaceful one, bye for now x

Will you join me next time for more tales and goings on from Shingle Cottage ?

X 


10 comments:

  1. This is a great post full of sweet memories. I love Your little table.
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alessandra so kind of you, have a lovely day xx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post. You have touched me to the very core. We owe so much to those young men..... and the loves ones left behind to grieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie, so true forever grateful for their sacrifice, wishing you a blessed day xx

      Delete
  3. Your blog post is very touching. The lad Eric looks no older than a day past sixteen. Memories flood back of my mum enjoying Songs of Praise. Especially love the sunset. Is that from where you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandy, I had the same thoughts looking at Eric he is just a child isn't he? I really love Songs of Praise on a Sunday evening and my Mum still tunes in and then telephones me straight after to hat about the hymns sung and where it had been filmed that week, thank you yes it's taken from our back garden, the sunsets have been really lovely this last few weeks, have a wonderful day x

      Delete
  4. Lovely post. After the 2 minute silence on Sunday, I spoke to my two boys about not just being quiet but actually taking 2 minutes out of our lives to really think about those who gave their lives. I wish I had thought to talk about it before 11am!! Best wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do take so much for granted these days don't we?There seemed to be a lot more kindness in days gone by.Your post was very touching,thank goodness for peace.Peace be with you and all your blog friends.kind regards,Georgina.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line,i always love to hear from you x